Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

size of the engine?

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by twil, May 25, 2009.

twil guest

I just pickup a 95 M3 with less that 100k on it. It has a ton of mods. One of which was an upgrade to the engine. i was told the engine was upgraded to a 3.2L. However, upon replacing the VANOS unit i was informed that the valve cover was that of a 3.0L. So my question(s) is - does this cover fit a 3.2? if so is there another way to find out the size of the engine? i would not be suspicious except there are several of the other upgrades that are not as described...........Any thoughts?

az3579

Yes, the cover should fit the 3.2. What exactly did they mean by "upgraded" to a 3.2? Did they swap in an S52 as opposed to the S50 it originally had, or did they bore it out to 3.2?

twil guest

Thanks for the information, I was not sure if the cover would fit. That makes me feel a little better. I just want to make sure of what I actually have. Is there a number on the side of the block that would indicate the size?

I was told it was a swap ("engine was upgraded to a 1996-1999 3.2L").

az3579

Ah! Well check for the VIN tag on the engine and look it up on RealOEM. That will tell you what it was originally, but I think you may already know what it is now. :)

twil guest

Thanks again for the info. I should be getting it out of the shop from the vanos replacement tomorrow and will check it out and post what i find.

twil guest

I got my car back from the shop, but have not been able to locate the vin on the block to run the number. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

twil guest

I checked the numbers on the engine. It has been swap to a 3.2. Thanks again for your insight.