Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

High-pressure fuel pump warranty upgrade

Discussion in 'E81/E82/E87/E88 (2004-present)' started by Oregon, May 24, 2009.

Oregon

Anybody else receive a notice from BMW extending the emissions warranty for the high-pressure fuel pump to 10 years/120,000 miles?

Cody

Qunadry

Got one for the 2007 335i I traded in on my 2009 135i. Have had the 135i for a month and BMW NA still says that the car is at the dealership waiting for delivery. They say they have not received the paperwork from the dealer. Yet I have already received my membership rewards check. Are BMW and their dealers really this messed-up?

atrhugo

Cody, just got mine Friday. Hugo

Bimmerdan

I haven't gotten one yet? I'll have to keep an eye on the mailbox. I assume it came from BMW NA and not the dealer, right?

Oregon

Hey Dan,

Direct from BMW NA.

Cody

Lexington guest

Yep, received mine last week. Would rather they just replace the pump now instead of having to worry about it going out at some inconvenient time or location.

Bimmerdan

I just got mine in the mail yesterday! I'm glad you guys said something about it or I may have tossed it without reading it, thinking it was just some marketing fluff they were sending out.

Yeah, I would agree with that, I'll be pretty PO'd if it strands me in the middle of rush hour traffic somewhere or out in the middle of nowhere with no cell phone coverage. I can't really blame BMW though, it would be a HUGE expense on their part to replace every fuel pump when in reality, only a small percentage of them will actually go bad. Speaking of that, does anybody have a feel for what percenatge have actually gone bad at this point??

Lexington guest

I haven't seen any stats but from the 1addicts forum it seems like a lot. Of course only those with ones that go out tend to complain. On the other hand it must be quite a few for BMW to take action. Also, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason on those that go out, at least that has been made public. BMW gains some good will on the extension of the warranty but for those that go out that causes a huge burden given it could be at 3 AM on some lonely back road, they will lose good will from that owner for not simply doing a recall. Guess they have done their cost/benefit analysis.

TP 135i guest

Letter received. But no problems with the HPFP to date.

Oregon

I nearly tossed mine as well after assuming the anonymous-looking notification was just more junk-mail, fan mail from some flounder. :D

Cody

BIMMIR guest

My BMW is non turbo so I don't think I'lll be having that problem? I do have a question.
    Does anyone know how much it costs to replace a fuel pump? Are there better fuel pump alternatives, like Dinan or others if someone wanted to replace it themselves with better equipment?
    I think if your pump goes, or even worse than going all at once, starts not woking well, it can cause significant damage to the engine?

atrhugo

Dang you're old - Hokey Smokes Rocky!!! ;-)

Oregon

Old? :confused: Perhaps we is! :^):p

Cody

Oregon

Anyone else experience the occasional hiccup in idle speed? The motor will be ticking along @ normal idle when it very momentarily and very slightly stumbles, immediately recovers. A symptom of HPFP failure?:confused: Any with similar experiences?

Cody

Oregon

Spoke with the service department, evidently idle-speed hunting for a nominal rpm is absolutely normal, it's some fancy atmospheric sensor or such realigning itself. Damn modern cars.;)

Cody

adrean8j guest

Yeah I have heard this hiccup from time to time. I am glad that it is normal. OT I have had a few longer starts than what I remember from when the car was brand-new. Approximately 1.5-2.0 seconds at the moment....I think if it becomes 3-4 seconds long I will have to take it in and get looked at....sigh