Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Z3 antenna for E30

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by granthr, May 15, 2009.

granthr

I am thinking of putting a Z3 antenna on my E30 325ix. The short antenna to get rid of the power antenna which can be so problematic.

Anyone out there done this swap? I understand I will probably loose some range, but I am okay with that. How much did it cost you? What parts are needed.

Here is the diagram from realoem. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CH73&mospid=48091&btnr=65_0284&hg=65&fg=30

Isn't there an even shorter antenna than what is in the above diagram?

I guess the big question is do I need to buy part # 2. Looks like that is the expensive piece. Anyone parting a Z3? Or can I substitute what is already in the car for # 2? (No Austin Powers jokes please! :D )

Thanks for the input and suggestions

granthr

Has no one any expereince with this upgrade/swap?

CRKrieger

It isn't problematic if you keep it clean. If yours is beyond saving, new Hirschmann units (you replace the mast & drive cable part) are under $35, last time I checked.

BenM guest

granthr

Hey thanks for posting this! This is exactly what I was looking for! :D

I have already located a booster/base with the long antenna. I see on ebay you can get the short stubbys for about $10. So I think I am good to go.

Thanks again! :cool:

BenM guest

Hey, not a problem! This is one of my favorite mods and looks really good on the E30. My dad has it done his 318is and 325i, and I have it on my 318i.

granthr

I plan on putting this on my 324ix, as the the antenna no longer works and I don't feel like messing with it any more. Plus I do like the look of it. :D The power antenna on my 318i works great, but it took time and effort to get it there.

Do you get good reception with the short antenna?

BenM guest

It's decent, but I would get one of the longer ones. It wasn't a huge difference, but was there.

granthr

That's what I thought. I was planning to keep two antennas, the short one for around town and the long one for trips. :D

desertVert guest

This is one of those mods that have been on to-do list for a long time, but I'm waiting for my stock mast to go. No such luck yet :eek:

I've heard that on the convertible the wind noise from the stock mast is reduced, too. Seems like a win-win.