Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

help i just bought a 2001 325xi

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by crap4acar, May 15, 2009.

crap4acar guest

Hello to all, this is my first post. I just purchased a 2001 325xi from a friend of the family.
    The problem is i bought it long distance (have not driven it yet). This is actually my first bimmer. I have always wanted one. I picked it up for $10,500 with 30,000 miles on it. What can I expect from this car. Will it be quite slow since it's the small engine and AWD? Does the AWD system take away from the driving experience on dry pavement? Does the AWD require additional maintenance? Does this model year have any faults? Amy comments would be great. Thank you.

az3579

Good deal! Ultra low mileage for an excellent price; you can't beat that.

Don't be fooled - the engine isn't all that small. It will move the car decently, but it's not fast. The AWD doesn't detract from the driving experience in the slightest. Don't know about the other things though...

Autohaus guest

At 30K miles you should change out all fluids (tranny, rear diff and the front transaxle for the AWD). The earlier E46's (1999-some 2003's) will have the typical window regulator failures, door lock actuators and wind noise from the faulty window trim. If your car doesn't have these problems then consider yourself lucky. Also at this mileage I bet the spark plugs haven't been changed. You should do a full tune up (plugs, air and fuel filters). Don't forget the valve cover gasket. The front control arms are unique and are almost expensive as E46 M3 arms. I had to replace the drivers side arm a few months ago and it was $400 parts/labor/alignment. The xi's are great in the snow, however, they will handle better with snow tires. We just run all season tires all year round and take it easy in the snow. Good luck with your new toy.

az3579

My lord, your xi with all-seasons will tread up a HILL, covered in snow without breaking a sweat!

bigriffi

i have a 330xi

I can tell you that the AWD is not going to hurt you on dry pavement.

I kinda like punching it in the rain, and watching the mustang just sit there :)

BIMMIR guest

It's not restrictive in the dry conditions, at least in regular driving. I'm from Maine and in the soup, it's a tank - you're going to love it in the snow. The only bad thing, is that you will now be spoiled for other cars.

As for maint. e mail Mike Miller the tech editor for BMW CCA (Roundel) and ask him to send you his old school maint. guide. There is a bunch of stuff at 30k, but then you'll be good for awhile, unless anything reactionary comes up.

Autohaus guest

The car is not an xi, it is a xDrive25i :D Seriously, the xi does handle well even with all season tires. However, in deep/heavy snow I drive about 20-30 mph as I :rolleyes: when I see FWD/4x4/AWD vehicles blow by me at 60 mph only to see them in the ditch a few miles up the road.

catbert guest

Mrs. Catbert drives a 2003 325xit. It's a beast in the snow here in the Midwest. I'm guilty of taunting sport utilities at the light when there's snow on the ground. Her winter wheels have Bridgestone Blizzaks on them and as long as the undercarriage can clear the snow, there's not much that can stop it. She went from being a "white knuckle" driver in snow to complaining about people holding up traffic in bad weather. You'll love it!

Catbert

(oOO \ (||||)(||||) / OOo)

Mine: 2003 530i
    Mrs. Catbert: 2003 325xit
    Iowa - The Great State of Excitement