Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Engine Failure Report

Discussion in 'E38 (1995-2001)' started by Marvin Holmes, May 8, 2009.

Marvin Holmes guest

I have a 1999 740iL. When I accelerate very quickly the panel in the dash illuminates with a message... "Engine Failure Report". The engine then sputters to a stop. While sputtering, no amount of stomping on the gas pedal helps. The car lurches several times and then shuts off.

While sputtering I put the gear in neutral (obviously I've gone through this a few times) and coast to a stop. I'll then turn the car off, and restart it. The "Engine Failure Report" is still illuminated on the dash panel; however I can drive very cautiously (without quick acceleration) for several weeks without another episode.

This is a very dangerous situation as I cannot get out of the way of oncoming traffic, or accelerate to a matching speed in a merge lane, with oncoming vehicles.

I've spent several thousand dollars at several BMW dealerships in the Washington, DC area and no one can figure it out.

I need help desperately.

Marvin
    meholmes@aol.com
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Stop going to the dealership. Try Curry's Auto Service or Road Race Technologies. My brother is one of thi principals at RRT, but I think they are very busy right now with race season in full swing.

ChrisV

Engine failure report? or Engine failsafe prog?

Has anyone replaced the MAF or it's gaskets?

bimmertech guest

Mass Air Sensor definitely sounds suspect. Next time the car acts up try unplugging the sensor and see how it reacts. The DME shuold substitute values for the missing HFM (mass air) and correct the situation. If this is the case, the HFM should be replaced. If you do not notice a difference further diag is required.