Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

X5 Diesel hesitation on throttle tip-in

Discussion in 'E70 X5 (2007-2013)' started by memelody, May 5, 2009.

memelody guest

I have an X5 35d, which is fantastic. One caveat; it seems to have a slight hesitation at initial tip-in, if one is slightly aggressive, such as getting into busy traffic from a roadside drive (filling station, mall, etc.). It's not a stumble, just a bit of spool-up before the transmission seems to "catch." Have any other X5 diesel owners noticed this?

granthr

Ooooo, 425 lb-ft of torque!!!! Ahrr Ahrr Ahrr :D I am so jealous. Now if only they would give us a manual!

Sorry I can't compare, but I wish I could! :D

cbm3 guest

I just picked up my X5 35d, which I love already. I have noticed the same thing. I think it results from the transmission starting in second gear when in the "normal" mode. I found that the problem went away when I engaged the "sport" mode, which starts in first gear. If only they offered a manual trans. we wouldn't have to have this discussion. Just did a round trip from NY to DC - 28mpg - go diesel!

zmurf guest

X5 Diesel

I had a 2007 X5-3.0 with possibly a similar problem. The trans would seem to catch when starting from a stop occasionaly. Like when stopped at a traffic light. I talked to a BMW tech and found out that BMW has a feature that puts the car in neutral when stopped for a while then back into drive when you take your foot off the brake and accelerate away. Possibly to save a drop of fuel when stopped??? They performed a software update that helped a lot.

Now have 2009 X5-35d. First tank of fuel 22.4 mpg. Last tank at 26.6 mpg all highway miles. Great power

mkc1860

Similar problem

also have an x5 diesel. LOVE IT!! From idle it is slow to take off, has to hit about 1100-1200 rpm before LAUNCH. Simply the steep curve of torque, not really going until this level. Look at the torque curve, and you will see what I mean, the "downfall" of a turbo, even a twin turbo is some lag. Like the previous post, in sport it is a little quicker off of idle, but just give a little rev for these take offs. In town so far averaging 21, mostly stop and go in a very hilly eastern ia town.

jayesler guest

It's turbo lag. Mine performs the same.

hyptgoldnz guest

YES, Tip in exactly...needs to be re-programed...going in for service and going to address the problem....I love the car though !!!!

vinsk guest

I feel the same for my 2011 35D, Its been a month and I've around 1400 miles on it. but as CBM3 said, if you put it in DS mode you wont feel the lag much.