Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

335i high pressure fuel pump

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Point2mach, Apr 21, 2009.

twinship guest

ForcedInduction guest

Has anyone actually phoned NHTSA's defect investigation office to see what is being done on the HPFP issue? I mean with all these reports of HPFP failures there must be a safety investigation in progress, no? I'd guess you could alert them to the site problems with regard to filing a complaint too if your BMW model isn't listed.

angler

wuznme guest

Hopefully my 2010 won't run into this issue.

ForcedInduction guest

Hopefully your car will be good but I have seen reports of 2010 3 and 5 series with HPFP failures so this can't be good. :(

AlanD

HPFP Replacement!

Just got a call from BMW NA telling me that the company has issued a new replacement HPFP for these 335i's. I confirmed with the Service Manager at the local dealership. My HPFP was replaced after failure in November '09. He said that this is a new issue replacement pump. I am scheduled for replacement.
    Promising news.

ForcedInduction guest

BMW is sending out a letter to customers telling them that BMW has no clue as the the cause of the HPFP failures so they are trying a new HPFP supplier who is actually the original OE HPFP supplier before they switched to Bosch. Only time will tell if the new pump is any more reliable than the three previous HPFPs.

tres

my dealer told me the same thing and my car is in the shop to try it out the reliability of this car caused me to buy an extended warranty on the engine and powertrain

SchnuckiE30 guest

E90Post Interview w/ BMW Performance Mng'r

For what it's worth, a scrap of infm'n on the HPFP as of ~16March10:

Hello Bimmerpost!

On Tuesday March 16th 2010, I was graciously invited up to BMW NA to interview the manager of BMW Performance: Eric Riehle. Beyond the interview, I tested out a BMW Performance 335i, and was given a tour of their facility.

I used this opportunity to get new and updated answers to many questions circulating the Bimmerpost community.

Q18: Any idea if the new HPFP will solve the HPFP failure issue?

Eric: I haven't been following the issues in great detail due to it being outside of my focus area. I did read a service bulletin for long cranks that stated a new software update was released: ISTA-P 2.37. For more mechanical issues, a new pump was in development, but I am not sure of the status currently.

I hope this may help our E90/92 drivers in some way.

Cheers

ForcedInduction guest

Obviously new car sales are more important to BMW and most companies than repairing problems in existing cars. With the widespread HPFP issues on the N54 powered models worldwide, you'd think someone at BWM Germany and BMW NA would have given this matter top priority with a 75% drop in profits and a 25% drop in U.S. sales, wouldn't you?

This problem has existed for four model years and counting. How long exactly does BMW think customers will tolerate these kinds of safety and defect issues? There are hundreds of safety complaints by BMW owners at nhtsa.gov over the dangers posed when the N54 HPFP fails when the vehicle is in motion. Why would BMW allow this issue to continue?

SchnuckiE30 guest

Wow - 4 years? I wasn't aware of that!
    My financial situation sux right now but if it was good, I'd be trolling for a new 335i coupe. Is it better to be broke sometimes?
    I read that the latest pump -943 is supposed to be a fix. Have ya heard anything on this? And can we expect a general write-up in Roundel on this problem? I agree with you - this IS a big deal!

az3579

What I'm curious about is whether the new N55 and existing revamped N54 will use the existing pump or if they'll have newer revised versions...

If they stayed with the same pump, something's seriously wrong.

ForcedInduction guest

No one at this point except BMW can tell if the 943 HPFP is any better, worse or the same as the 881 and prior pumps regarding failure rate. One dealer stated that BMW took all of his 943 pumps back so there must have been a reason why? One person so far that I know of has reported a 943 HPFP failing within a few thousand miles, but it has not been independently confirmed.

Only BMW insiders would know if the N55 and N54is will have a different HPFP or the 943 unit?

SchnuckiE30 guest

... so I guess when you walk into a BMW dealership looking at a 3-series, the first thing you ask is what the HPFP durability will be? That will make their day, huh?...

Ya suppose Audi would have a field day with this, given their new, wierd commercials?

When does this cause production to stop? (how's that for grabbing their attention?)

Wanderlustbob guest

Last Thursday I thought I was having a second issue with my pump (the first one was replaced at a little over 8000 miles and now I'm a little over 11,000) because it took the car about 8 seconds to start and the service engine soon light came on again. But this time they kept my car until today and just updated the software. Really curious to see if it fixes the issue.

twinship guest

Took the new pumps back... as in recalled them???? :confused:

Wow, that's scary! :eek:

Any details?

ForcedInduction guest

That is what one dealer claims. It has not been verified however. No details other than BMW parts reportedly took the 943 HPFPs back shortly after the dealership received them.

Joey Syracuse

Wow, very enlightening! I was hyped up to purchase an '08 335i CPO w/sport package which was advertised locally but after reading this and the threads on the oil temp issue I've changed my mind. How could I trade a reliable DD for this headache? It's too bad because on paper it's a great sport sedan.:(

aeroscout

4th HPFP less than 12k miles and 12 months

So I've been lurking in forums reading about this issue and thought I would add my tale of woe.

2009 335 xi. Leased new in April 2009. Less than 12k miles and I am now on my fourth HPFP. Told the dealer and BMW NA I wanted out of the car and would be looking for an alternative manufacturer. We will see what they come up with and I'll keep you posted.

ForcedInduction guest

Sorry for the woes! :(

You and many others have forced BMW to buy these cars back. It's outrageous IMO.