Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

What do you think my car is worth?

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1995-1999)' started by bmwmfan, Apr 15, 2009.

bmwmfan guest

Help! I had someone make me an offer for my car (it ~is~ for sale but not real actively) and I think its a little low. What do you think my car is worth? What would you pay? If it was yours, what would you look to get out of it?

Year: 1999
    Model: M3 Coupe
    VINnumber: WBSBG933XXEY81813
    Exterior Color: Dakar Yellow II
    Interior Color and Material: Black on Black Leather
    Mileage 104,000
    Transmission 5-speed
    Description: One owner. Excellent condition. Always garaged. Dealer maintained. No accidents. No smoke. Summer car. Very clean inside and out. Manual M heated seats. Trip computer. New Pilot Sport PS2s. Premium HK speakers and head unit. Dealer maintained, Mobile one in between dealer changes. Email or call for detailed photos.
    State/Province: (MI) Michigan

Detailed Photos are available here.

It has a new fog light (photos show a broken one) and new shift knob, same as stock--illuminated, 5 speed, m...

pseto

wow, very nice. most e36 M3s hold there value very well, so I would think $12-15k

bmwmfan guest

Thanks Paul!

snehlig guest

Kelley Blue Book estimated 9,500 which seems a little low to me. I would guess that you could realistically sell it for 12K to 14K. Unfortunately many 99 m3's are selling cheap with under 100,000 miles that are also very well kept. Good luck

az3579

If KBB says 9500 then most likely a potential buyer will stick to those guns. I personally would say it's worth about 12k as it's in excellent condition (in a good economy, mind you) and it's the last year produced (so it's the newest). I'm sure you have all receipts for maintenance as well, but I dunno how much you would actually get for the car seeing the way things are now with the economy...

suss1173

You have to find the person that's on the hunt for a car with the options you have and, this color combo, and you might be able to get 11K- 13K. It's just a matter of finding the person looking for what you have.

I have been looking for something to use at DE events, and I've looked at a lot of e36 M cars over the last 2- 3 months (lots for sale now). There were nice cars that had no track preperation that could have been bought for $6,500 -$8K (all advertised for more $) and I passed up a few cars that had mild track preperations (upgraded suspension, rims, brakes, each had different upgrades, but all were mild and they could have been purchased from $8,500- $12K (all asking more $) and I would not be afraid to buy a car that someone used for track events either. You can be assure that most people tracking a car take extra special care of them (IMO).

PS. Did I say you car look EXCELENT!!!!

suss1173

You have to find the person that's on the hunt for a car with the options you have and, this color combo, and you might be able to get 11K- 13K. It's just a matter of finding the person looking for what you have.

I have been looking for something to use at DE events, and I've looked at a lot of e36 M cars over the last 2- 3 months (lots for sale now). There were nice cars that had no track preperation that could have been bought for $6,500 -$8K (all advertised for more $) and I passed up a few cars that had mild track preperations (upgraded suspension, rims, brakes, each had different upgrades, but all were mild and they could have been purchased from $8,500- $12K (all asking more $) and I would not be afraid to buy a car that someone used for track events either. You can be assure that most people tracking a car take extra special care of them (IMO).

PS. Did I say you car looks EXCELENT!!!!

Marzochi guest

Did you sell your car yet? Your car looks mint. Very nice. Interior looks perfect from the photo's you took. you should be able to get a decent price for it. I paid 9500 back in November for my 95 M3 Dakar yellow with 122k on it. Not anywhere near as mint as yours! To bad you hadn't posed back in October!

Very nice though!

bmwmfan guest

Yup, she was sold in May of '09. I would be missing her bad if I didn't find a replacement already...an '03 M3 vert... :D

Grinch337

Any chance you would tell us how much you got for her? Obviously I understand if you would like to keep that information private.

bmwmfan guest

Cost

No worries. I got 10k for it but was able to remove my aftermarket replacement mp3 cd changer and I also didn't have to do some of the maintainance work I was going to do to it before delivering it, so I was happy with that amount--obviously I would have liked more, but I think the market couldn't see past the 105k miles, regardless of how good of shape the car was in.

mtrevor guest

That is a decent amount. I would say that the E36 market has levelled off quite a bit. The problem is finding a clean car that has been taken care of. I paid $12,900 for my 126k mile E36 4 Door 5 Speed with documentations showing over $39,000 worth of upgrades and maintenance dating from 2000 to 2010. I had been searching for a 4/5 for a while and many with 100k miles, excellent condition and completely stock to mild upgrades had been selling in the $9k to $14k range. I have seen some low mileage, 50k to 80k miles, M3 sedans selling in the $13k to $16k range. There are several coupes in the sub 100k mile range asking $15k plus, but they have been for sale for a while. There are also many basket cases in the sub $8k range, but they are a mess. It is definitely worth the extra $2k to $5k for a clean, maintained car, vs a car that has many needs. I think $10k is a reasonable price for both you and the buyer. Good luck with your E46..

SBrasesco

FWIW I sold my 95 M3 w/ 122k on the odo....it was a fully prepped track/DE car that could be converted back to street. All records as I was the original owner and a list of upgrades & maintenance. I sold it for $11.5 in Nov. of 09....the right cars will find the right number and I see that the numbers have been creeping up on this car....I should have kept it