Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

'86 325 Repair Manual

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by vvurdsmyth, Apr 14, 2009.

vvurdsmyth guest

B4 I hit Amazon or others, anyone have any manuals covering an '86 325? I might consider buying a couple of different kinds, in my thread on the windows, someone mentioned the Bentley manual, I understand that there is Chilton and Hays..... Also any opinion on which is the best...? 4 those I'd buy (greasy fingerprints a badge of courage...), it can be done USPS/COD.

Elliot

John in VA

The Robert Bentley manual is really all you need. Haynes made one covering the E30 and E28 - it's OK for ~$10. I haven't looked at the Chilton for E30, but have one for the 2002.

vvurdsmyth guest

Thank you John, but do I take it you have the Haynes to let go, or that it costs $10...? And you have a '74 tii...? I had one, ran it up to 240,000 mi and it was still running fine, but I got a new job in 1984 and bought a 381. IMHO, they ought to bring the 2002 back like they did the Mini, but updated with the new technology and maybe a 6 speed. The 2002 had a feel for the road like nothing else...

E.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Buy the Bentley manual. It and this forum are all you need.

John in VA

I picked up the E28+E30 Haynes via eBay for ~$10 shipped, but I always reach for the Bentley.
    Yes, the 2002 is a blast. I've had one since 1980, and picked up this tii in 2002!

mac townsend guest

the Bentley company has been publishing solid, factory approved manuals for decades and decades. Want one of the Bosch publications ion engine management? Bentley publishes them.

the E30 Bentley is several inches thick. I don't think I have ever seen a Haynes anywhere near half that complete.

might cost more, but better info.

alas, Amazon's out of stock. Might try bentley publications (google...when i do it kills Firefox so...)

mac townsend guest

vvurdsmyth guest

Yes, thank you Mact, I had already been there, the issue of seeing if anyone of this group had the manual, and didn't need it any longer was kind of keeping funds in the family. Also one decent source I came across is:
    http://www.bimmerdiy.com/dir/e30
    not totally complete, but it gives you a heads up on what the issues are, so you have the right questions on tap, like, you'll need Torx wrenches & bearing puller... ok, what size....

mac townsend guest

Gottcha. If you were nearby, I could loan you mine for a weekend kind of thing.

vvurdsmyth guest

Mact, thank you very much, but only if you are within less than an hour or so of NYC; I don't want to drive it very much, it needs rear wheel bearings, tie rod ends and a valve tune up; it will also take a little time to assemble the tools; Sears has a flat ratchet I'll need to turn over the engine (I'll take out the plugs) to do the valves (I turn it over via the crank pulley nut), metric Torx wrenches, likely also from Sears, and a bearing puller. The old lady apparently has been doing a lot of sitting before I got it..

mac townsend guest

well, since I'm about 3000 miles west of you, that plan seems unworkable.<G>

A simple remote starter switch would be cheaper than the wrench (and easy toi make with $5 worth of Radio Shack parts and an old film canister or even prescription bottle!) and easier than turning the engine by hand (fewer skinned knuckles too!) One connection to pin 11 on the diagnostic connector and the otehr to ground. push the button for contact (crank) and release for stop. Remove the ignition relay to prevent it from trying to start.