Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Best Lightweight Forged Wheels?

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by Jbeene, Apr 13, 2009.

Jbeene guest

Now that spring has rolled around I've put my M 19 inch wheels on and while they are works of art I'm thinking of getting something lighter and maybe a little wider.

I like some of the Rays (Volk Racing) wheels and the BBS LM-R but wonder if anyone has any experience withother higher end wheels - more track oriented than purely an asthetic change.

I had the Dinan wheels on my 335i but am not sure I want to go that direction again. They are light but I'd rather not use spacers if I don't have to.

I also don't want it to look "pimped" if you get my meaning, just want it to be a little different and realize some benefits of lighter wheels.

Turner has some nice Forgeline wheels but wondering if anybody has any other recommendations.

az3579

Have you tried TireRack? See what options they have for your car.

Jbeene guest

yes, their selection is OK but nothing tunrs my crank

M3Driver guest

+1 for the Tire Rack. Been using them for years. Need to call and ask for Gary (or you can find his extension on their web site). He is the BMW expert (and a club member and owner). All the guys there defer BMW-type questions to him.

Dinan wheels are great; very light (I had a set on my 01 330Ci) but they are pricey (as you know).

I would think a set of BBS wheels would look great on a new M3. Just my .02... :)

Jbeene guest

Thanks, have dealt with Gary many times. He knows BMW fitments very well. At one point I think the UPS guy thought I ran a tire and wheel store on the side! We turn over vehicles every couple years and each usually gets an extra set of snows and rims from the tire rack.

I'm thinking the BBS LMR in 19 by 9.5 and 19 by 11 may be the way to go if I can get the fit right - may have to go with 10.5's on the back.

They are actually more expensive than the Dinan wheels:eek:

LOPHAT2

Wheel Experts has a wheel called B9, Alloy Tech that weighs <19 .lbs each, front and rear. I inquired and they were offering the set for $3800. I think I can get a more attractive yet conservative wheel from Volk for a little cheaper and it will be exactly what I want. Don't want to settle for $3800
    http://www.alloytechnic.com/

I share your sentiments with Tire Rack. Great customer service and extremely knowledgeable; however, their selection for M3s is not very attractive. I contacted them via e-mail and inquired about Volk wheels. They simply stated that they could not get Volks. The interesting thing about that claim is that at one time they carried the Volk TE 37.

If you stumble upon a distributor, I'm looking for the following:

a. GTC (Mercury Silver)
    b. RE 30
    c. VR-G2
    d. TE 37

bcweir

Have you considered BMW wheels?

Used and refurbished wheels can be had pretty inexpensively, depending on where you look.

Nearly any five-lug wheel will fit on your hub itself except for E39 5-series wheels (these require hub adapters due to the E39's slightly larger hub). The biggest question mark is backspacing (Whether or not the tire mounted on the wheel will hit your suspension or wheelwell).

I also seem to recall some differences with the older BMW (vintage) wheels but I can't recall what they are. Perhaps someone else here can assist me with that information.

http://www.wheelcollision.com <== try here

ForcedInduction guest

CCW in FL will custom CNC machine forged wheels for you if you want something special. They are similar to Forgelines but slightly less expensive. Both are very nice wheels and popular with BMW/Porsche track people. I have no firsthand experience with either company though people do report being happy with both wheels.

http://www.ccwheel.com/files/home.php

ggondek

Forgeline

JBeene,

If you choose Forgeline, be sure they are coated or chromed. I put a set of polished aluminum Forgelines on my Corvette in 1994. By now I have spent about a week cleaning them. Good looking wheels though.

GGondek

granthr

SBrasesco

to the OP...you mentioned track use...if so I would recommend Forgelines....APEX.ARC's in 18x10 they are 19lbs. in 18x9.5 18lbs.and you can run a square set-up....some of the lightest wheels around....if you want more show than go....HRE makes some great wheels...as does RAC(which are 100% custom limited production)..I currently run BBS CH's that I had powder-coated on my 08....
    GL

srobmw guest

HRE Competition Series.

M3Driver guest