Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2005 530i sun/moonroof wind noise-anyone else?

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by garryduncan, Apr 13, 2009.

garryduncan guest

This is my first post so I hope my format is appropriate. I have a 2005 530i that I love with one small exception. Since I got it (CPO in 2007), I have been getting a lot of buffeting wind noise through/around the moonroof. On the highway, I have to close the shade because it just gets to loud. Has anyone else had this experience and if so, what can one do about it? I took it back to the dealer who suggested that it was a "5-series" issue but that did not really make sense to me. Many thanks for any help or suggestions. G. Duncan, Philadelphia

JamesCabot guest

I have a 2004 530i with the exact same problem and the same response from my dealer. Very frustrating!!! I am afraid that I have no advice for you but am very interested to learn if others have the same issue and any solutions.

CRKrieger

Well, the simple fact is that a roof panel needs to be slightly lower than the roof in front and slightly higher than the roof in back. This isn't much; a millimeter or two, at most. You can either look at it or lay a straight edge across these joints to see if it's properly oriented. If not, there are adjustments to the mechanism that can be made. The other thing to check is the wind seal - that fuzzy thing lining the roof opening. If it is crimped or out of place, it can make noise, too. Unfortunately, it can also be expensive to replace.

jonathonlorek guest

Check on bimmerfest to see what everyone says. They say to check the gap between the sunroof and the roof with a business card. If it slips around the edges then you need your seal replaced and that will help. It doesn't appear to be that difficult, I think it is a DIY item.

bimmertech guest

It is hard to tell how much noise your describing through the interweb, but the general litmus test for sunroof windnoise is: if it can't be heard with the shade closed, it's normal. Trust me, they are all noisy with the shade open. If you can still hear a good bit of noise with the shade closed you may need a seal or panel adjustment as mentioned.

garryduncan guest

Many thanks for the advice and apologies for the belated reply. Cheers

jbcritch guest

My 2005 545i had the same problem, my 2007 550i does also to a lesser degree. In the 545i I went back to the dealership for "service" 3 times (adjusting, greasing, new seal) before they changed the entire sunroof cassette. That actually solved my problem.

eam3

Do you guys open the sunroof a lot? I ask because I've opened the sunroof on ours maybe once or twice since we got it (I would have preferred the car without it) and I always keep the sunshade out to block the light. My car makes zero noise around the sunroof at any speed.

Steven Otto

My 07 550i makes zero noise around the sunroof...shade closed or open.

DHENRY

My '09 528iX is quiet as a tomb.
    The wind-noise issue plagued my friend until BMW replaced the gasket.
    Don

SASMITH

Just bought my first Bimmer in April - '08 528xi - had wind noise - dealer replace seal - no more noise - easy fix. I have problem now with starting. Twice the battery was too low to start car. It went completely dead after 15-20 minutes with doors open to vacuum carpet & clean windows. Digital clock goes blank occasionally. Dealer says battery is OK. Told me not to leave key anywhere near the car -it runs the battery down!

jaredwaz guest

seems like you have a real problem on your hands with your 528. i can tell you i leave my key in the car all the time with no issues. also, not sure if the 528 has 'parked car ventilation', but this runs the cars vent system for 15 minutes (or so). in order to do this, the battery would be pretty powerful. certainly more powerful than dying just after 30 minutes with the doors open.

one odd thing i experienced is that twice in the last two weeks my car would not start. found out it must have just been a bad contact on the shifter indicating a parked or neutral position. just wiggling the shifter a bit made the contact and allowed the ignition to start.