Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

e36 clunk in rear

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1995-1999)' started by eicarguy, Mar 24, 2008.

eicarguy

I've been chasing clunks in the rear of a new to me 1998 M3. First it was the upper shock mount, then a loose battery, then a loose toe rod. Now I finally notice a trailing arm bushing that's not pressed all the way on.

How much gap between the flange and the housing? I have over 1/2" (13mm) now. And why would it be hanging out so far...

Thanks

ei

mjweimer

ei,

The BMW TIS states that the gap is to be measured before bushing removal and then the new bushing set in place to that same gap.

That being said, 13mm is far too much of a gap. My car had a ~2mm gap when I measured the original bushings before replacement.

As to why the bushing is out so far...who knows. They press in to the trailing arm pretty damn snug so I doubt it would work its way out but you never know. Maybe it was just installed poorly and the mech. did not know any better(?).

Matt

eicarguy

During disassembly I discovered bushing had lost its press into the trailing arm bore. After a few calls , I got the new style bushing which has no flange but makes the trailing arm bore diameter almost irrelevant. I only replaced the bad one so far but figure the rubber stiffness about equal to the other side. Goodyear aligned it today and they got the toe good, but there's too much front caster and too little rear camber.

The clunk is gone!

Thanks for the insights,

ei

mjweimer

Glad to hear your clunk is gone!

Interesting that there is too much front caster. Did they compare it to a standard E36 spec or the M3 spec? M3's have a lot more positive caster than the standard E36.

Rear camber is slightly adjustable using the eccentric bolt mounted to the outboard end of the lower rear control arm but if the arm itself is bent then the adjustment may not get it back to spec.

Check to see if you notice any damage to the lower control arms. They are somewhat flimsy parts made of welded sheet metal and are easy to damage. Flat bed tow truck drivers like to strap the car down to these and the front tie-rods wrecking both in the process.

Matt