Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

How difficult to retrofit cruise control in a 1991 318i?

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Brian A, Apr 5, 2009.

Brian A

How difficult is it to retrofit cruise control into a 1991 318i? Lots of parts required?

I drove my 1991 318i to Monterey (to autocross) and back this weekend via highways: a 180 mile round trip. It sure would have been nice to have cruise control.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Very easy. You need the wiring harness, switch, CC computer, and actuator. It is a straight plug in to the power connector at the firewall and the cluster, along with a few other places. Old BMWs are cool that way.

az3579

Don't forget the CC cable that attaches to the throttle body. :)

mooseheadm5

I may be able to get a kit together for you if you are interested. Lemme check to make sure the other car I am parting has everything intact.

cj morgan guest

How do you fix the cruise control you do have haha? I've come to the conclusion that the cruise control switch and the wiper blade switch are directly related some how. My wiper blades randomly stop working unless i push my cruise control switch up or down with a fair amount of force and after a short time they quit working again.When my cruise is on it randomly cuts out as well. Any Ideas???

mooseheadm5

You have wierd symptoms, check your grounds at the column
    You have to diagnose it properly to fix it. It is likely that the cluster or speedo have a bad solder joint. The brain is probably only getting an intermittent break in speed signal. You should crack open the cluster and touch up the solder joints on the speedo, as I have fixed a couple of cars this way. Lemme know if you need help with any of that.

mac townsend guest

push come to shove, a generic audiovox cc can be made to work on damn near anything.

got one on my MGB.