Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E30 M3 On Board Computer Replacement

Discussion in 'E30 M3 (1988-1991)' started by catmundu, Apr 5, 2009.

catmundu

How difficult is it to remove the on board computer (obc) from the dash? i recently purchased my e30 m3 and the display on the obc is hardly visible or not visible at all at times. the previous owner gave me a new display unit with the car, it must have been on his to-do list and now is on mine! :) and p.s. i have not purchased the bentley manual on the car yet. thanks.

John in VA

I'm sure there are some tech tricks to replace the light bar - I look fwd to seeing them!
    I don't know if the M3 differs from other E30 models, but I've done it by removing the radio and and stuffing my small hand into the hole to remove the rightmost pair of screws (there are 4 total, on each corner) holding the OBC in place. I was then able to pry out the right edge, pull out the white plastic light bar with a pair of needle nose pliers, and insert the new one. Don't drop the screws!
    I also replaced one in a friend's E30 cabrio by removing the plastic panel on the left side of the glove box, then reaching back around the dash to access the screws.. Her radio was too complicated to remove.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

M3 is the same as others. In other words, a real PITA.

az3579

I went through this PITA a while ago. Since you already have the 13-button OBC, you can ignore the bits about the wiring harness and such. You should only be doing the light bar replacement, so make sure you have a light bar handy and only do the following parts:
    * Center switches and OBC
    * Center console and handbrake surround (not required but will make your life a bit easier)

I did a full retrofit into mine (I had the 6-button one before) so I did a full writeup on it. It is as follows:

Brian A

catmundu

thanks guys! y'all are awesome. :D deep down i had a feeling it was going to be a PITA. but hopefully from pain, will come a functional obc! :) i plan on doing this over the long weekend next weekend- will keep u posted.

03BeastCharmer

:eek:
    We are?????
    I guess I better read up!!! Or let you and your small hands handle this one:D

catmundu

BUSTED!!!! lol :D i was gonna tell u about it.....saturday. ;)