Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E30 euro bumpers

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by mlr421, Mar 28, 2009.

mlr421 guest

I have a 1987 325is that has the US "diving board" bumpers. I'd like to change them out to the sleeker euro style. Does anyone know where I can get some and how difficult a retrofit this is?
    Thanks,
    Mike

az3579

Join the club... :rolleyes:

I haven't seen any for sale.

granthr

+1 Although you can get them new from BMW. At least $800

M3Driver guest

Ping the guys at Turner Motorsport and see if they can point you in the right direction. They seem to advertise a lot of euro parts and such for other cars. www.turnermotorsport.com

or Bavarian Autosport might be another shot. www.bavauto.com

az3579

BavAuto is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive on certain parts that you can usually only score from the dealer. Example? An ECU for my eta would cost ~$1500 from them. It's as though they haven't heard of used but good parts...

mac townsend guest

There are various kits that can be found (try evilbay) that will move the bumper in a couple inches. Perhaps this will give you what you want at less than stealership prices?

az3579

Those kits are a ripoff. The solution is to do it yourself.
    All those kits are are shocks that are a bit shorter than the standard ones. It's something one can do himself. All that's involved is taking off the bumper, taking out the shocks, drilling a hole in them, letting the fluid all come out, reattach everything, and force the bumper in so that it retracts into the covers.

Or, if you're lazy, you could just get under the car, drill the holes, and push the bumper in that way, if you're not into the "clean" way of doing it...

Here are some pictures of the result:

[IMG]

[IMG]
    And it's called bumper tucking, BTW. If I can't get my hands on Euro bumpers, then a tuck and paint is my next step. It is most likely what will happen, as I haven't seen any Euro bumpers for sale. But then again, I gave up looking a while ago, so there might be some now.

japandrew guest

Or you can check out how I got mine and put them on....

There are a lot of pages and pictures but if you read carefully you will find the cheapest and nicest way to get euro bumpers.... well at least the front anyways:

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70925
    [IMG]

az3579

I read your thread on that site a while back and am floored that you have so much patience to do something like that (restoring your 318i to Euro spec). Much respect.

I thought about doing what you did, but I just don't have the know-how to piece it together. I'm afraid that if I start ordering parts, I will eventually run out of parts, like a certain essential part not being available for purchase, or something to that effect.

But when I first read the thread, I never thought I'd ever be jealous of a 318i. But, I'd gladly trade my 325e (converted to es spec) for your 318i Euro. lol

zoff

don't know where you can get the bumpers but I have an extra bumper shock to sell if you need it!

Elkoholic

I just got so caught up reading that thread--it's like an amazingly entertaining tale of BMW restoration...and I love it! :D

japandrew guest

Haha Thanks I appreciate it :)

granthr

Wow, that is a great thread of all that you have done to your 318i. :D

az3579

It really sounds like something I'd imagine you doing.... only not so thoroughly. I get the feeling that you wouldn't go through the hassle of sourcing extremely rare Euro parts, especially if there's not so desireable (ex: single door mirror conversion parts)... but that car is so hawt that I would buy it off of him if I had lots of cash to burn!

Reading his thread actually makes me want to continue with my own little project. Ultimate sleeper E30. :D

japandrew:
    I might convert my bumpers soon to Euro. I'm getting them tucked this Saturday, but want to know if you've found a source for the rear bumper yet?
    I've seen parts of the front for sale on eBay (surprising, but not complete) so I don't think the front would be all that hard, but the rear seems to be elusive for any project. Plastic bumper swap, for example; it's not the front that's the problem, it's the rear! (not fitting properly)
    So did you find a rear yet, and if so, where?

granthr

His thread gets me going to complete some projects I have been putting off. I really like the two angle driver side mirror. That is pretty cool.

I do have rear fogs on the 318i, but they are not connected. I have the switch and euro taillights. I even ran the wire to the rear. I just need to take the time to find a power source.

Brian A

Elkoholic

^ ^ ^ Second that. ^ ^ ^

japandrew guest

hah thanks everyone. I have finally bought a rear bumper and it arrives Monday and I'm pretty sure I'll get it installed Monday. Most likely I'll have it installed Monday and if not Monday, then for sure Tuesday. I will have pics up on the thread I posted same day as the instal

az3579

For all of those who are interested!

I know someone who is taking orders for Euro bumpers! He is getting a crapload of them shipped over here and they will be released from customs Monday. There are already a TON of people signed up for them, but if you let me know if you're interested, I can probably get you gets into the next or following shipment (a couple of weeks, perhaps?).

These are sets; front and rear bumpers, and you can get metal or plastic ones. Got an E28 or an E21? No problem, he can order those as well.

So, if you're interested, let me know and I'll forward your information to him!
    PM me your name, what bumpers you want (metal or plastic), and what car it's for.

CourtM3

R3v always has a set or two for sale. Guy from Ireland selling the front shipped for $135