Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

oil change

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by BMWROBERT, Mar 27, 2009.

BMWROBERT guest

I have a 2007 335i, and I would like to know how many liters of oil I would need to do my own oil change, and which oil I should be using?

shanneba

You should need 7 quarts of oil. Castrol Syntec 0w-30, Mobil 1 0w-40 and the dealer BMW 5w-30 are all BMW LL-01 rated. I used the Castrol Syntec 0w-30 in my 330Ci with good results.

bcording

I own a 2008 535XI. I had the oil changed at an Independent BMW shop in Chantilly, using the recommended synthetic oils for 1/2 the cost the BMW dealership charges. I warned them to save the oil you drain so you can measure it, since BMWNA doesn't give this fact out in your owner's manual. Curry's Auto Service in Chantilly, VA subscribes to a BMW repair software program that has the correct oil capacity for our 335/535 engine. Call them at (703)502-0400 for the correct figure. I think it is 6.9 liters or quarts but check with them and get it done at an independent shop. My first oil change at an independent shop cost $72. My second, at the BMW dealership cost $142! BMW must think all owners have more money than brains!!

Enjoy your 335!

Buck Cording
    2008 535I
    1973 2002tii

michael j stankus guest

i guess we do not have any brains if we buy cars without a dipstick myself included. we must be addicted to bmw or why else would we by their cars. mike 05 Z4 09 328xdrive coupe

bcording

Brain Dead BMW Owner

Mike,

You hit the nail on the head! I thought I would get over the missing oil dip stick but I am OLD and OLD SCHOOL.

My almost $70K 2008 535XI has 11K miles on it has lost the AWD/DSC four times and the result was BMWNA claims I voided the Battery warranty, by not driving the car the required 1K miles per month. BMW of Sterling wanted $254 for the battery, at my cost, plus $250 to install. I had it replaced by an independent shop with the strongest Interstate battery for $231. I am still in discussion with BMWNA to show me where there is a seperate Battery warranty (THERE ISN'T ONE) and where is it written that there is a 1K per month mileage requirement (THERE ISN'T ANY). BMW has lost sight of it's purpose to provide reliable high performance cars. My 18 month old 535XI is out in the garage with an extension cord coming out of the closed trunk, attached to a Battery Tender Plus. I have a performance car with a charging system that couldn't support a Go-Cart!

If it fails one more time, I'll take the bath and trade it in on a Volvo XC60. Volvos are reliable, their batterys have lasted 9 years in my previous cars and still have oil dipsticks!

Hope you have better luck with your Bimmer!

Buck Cording

valeram guest

The battery in our XC90 lasted 3 years and after 52K miles (5 years) the transmission was dead. It needs a new transmission (GM transmission). The good thing is, even though the car is out of warranty, they replaced everything that needs to be replaced for free (goodwill). Apparently, there was a problem with 04/06 XC90 transmission.

NASADeac

This is the 2nd post I have seen within the last month citing a $500 cost to replace a dead battery. I have a 6 month old 328 with a battery that is already compromised due to lack of driving it. I plead guilty as charged when accused of not driving the car. However, how in holy heck can anybody, including the apparent thugs with BMWNA, justify that kind of cash to replace a battery? I am CERTAIN I have purchased my last BMW.

az3579

I find it unfortunate that you guys are so adamant that it's BMW's fault for the battery dying due to a lack of driving it. Yes, I agree that the 1k a month is a stupid thing to say and shouldn't be this way, but why on earth do you have a car (and an expensive one at that) if you don't ever drive it? Especially a BMW; that's like buying three different mansions, none of which you spend more than a weekend in a year. It's pointless putting a machine that's meant to be driven into a garage for most of its life, which brings me to Garage Queens.........

... but that's a story for another day.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

B,
    Some people live in cities and rarely need to drive. Why no drive a BMW when they feel like it? I have a motorcycle (well, 2 actually) that I ride to work every day, wifey rides a scooter to work, and I have several cars. Sure, I used to drive 150mi/day, but wanna know how many miles my cars averge? Not all that many. Should I not have several BMWs? You can try to come and take them from me- but I wouldn't mess with wifey!
    I think it is criminal that they would charge $500 to change a battery. Even if the battery is $250, unless it is an X5 it does not take more than 20 freaking minutes to change it! That said, buy a battery tender if you don't drive much.

bcording

Reason I Bought My 2008 535XI

We purchased our 2008 535XI because it was the most powerful midsized new BMW with twin turbocharging and all wheel drive. I was leery of the I DRIVE and wanted a low mileage 2001 740Li, but my wife refused to buy a used BMW. Since we already have one "GARAGE QUEEN", my frame off restored 1973 2002tii, everthing new and less than 500 miles on the odometer, we intended to swap our 2 older Volvos for one really nice, high performance, midsized BMW, we were both going to drive.

We are both retired, with three cars and a pick-up truck. There is no way I can drive each car 1,000 miles a month as there aren't that many places for us visit. My wife has since decided that she will have nothing to do with our "PERFORMANCE CAR," since it failed at 7,800, 10,611, 10,840 for the same problem, loss of AWD/DSC. This lack of reliability certainly has reduced our ability to drive the car more. BMWNA's failure to support these failures, when there is no guidance requiring 1K monthly driving is CRIMINAL. My Dr. had his battery replaced, at no cost to him, under the 4 year "FREE" maintenance warranty.

My wife's 2002 Volvo S40 has 11K miles on it with no failures of any type. I did the 90K scheduled maintenance and replaced the original battery, it was still good but my wife wanted a new one.

BMW has lost sight of how to provide the customer service. I complied with everything the owner's manual directed to do for the battery problems, take it to the BMW Dealership for assistance. I have been lied to and treated in a way that has convinced me to never buy another new BMW. In addition, BMW has engineered/designed their "Performance Car" with the worst NTSA crash ratings, no rear side air bags/curtains (Optonal), a charging system, alternator too small to recharge the car faster than all the unnecessary electronics drain the battery. BMW needs to provide an external weather-proof socket for the required BATTERY TENDER PLUS to keep their poorly engineered car running.

I am still in discussion with BMWNA on how this story will resolve. I stil love the car, with all it's faults. Other than the inconvienience/embarassment of unplugging the Battery Tender each morning and plugging it in at night, the car is still running. If it fail once more with all this mollycoddling, I will trade it on a Volvo. Not everyone can drive their cars 1K plus miles per month and for almost $70K one would expect a performance car to recharge itself without a Battery Tender!

FYI, for anyone facing a $500 battery replacement quote from your BMW Service Department. Battery-Plus on Lee Highway, near Chilies, sells the exact replacement battery for $109 and will install it for $16. Their battery has an 85 monnth pro-rata warrenty and an 18 month no questions asked free replacement. They also sell the Battery-Plus battery tender fot $59. I purchased an Interstate 855 CCA, 85 month warrenty, 18 month no questions asked free replacement for $231. There are alternatives rather than paying $500 to BMW.

I hope everyone enjoys their BMWs as I had planned on enjoying mine. I will continue to enjoy my fully restored 1973 2002tii. That was a performance car in 1973 and is more of a performance car than my 2008 535XI is today. I have really enjoyed the great people and information shared by other BMWCCA members through this forum.

Buck Cording

NASADeac

Thanks Paul - Nuff Said!!!!!!!!!!!

granthr

+2 I have three "Garage Queens"!!! I walk to work and my wife takes the train!!

Botond, without garage queens there wouldn't be any pristine older BMWs to buy!! If everyone used up their BMWs we used BMW buyers would be driving new econo boxes. :D You wouldn't want that would you?!

az3579

Not entirely true. If you take care of your car, it could still be pristine. It could have 300k miles on it and still be pristine (and I've seen a couple) as long as you don't neglect it in any way. Treat it like a garage queen, with the exception of the fact that you're using it every day, and it'll still be a vehicle in excellent condition.

Arash2002tii guest

I'd even say the normal everyday wear and tear (aside from mechanical failures) adds to the character of the car. I'm trying to catch up, just hit 233k on the m3 :). Weekend driver only though I usually add miles in the 100's every weekend.