Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Long Crank Syndrome

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by RambleJ335, Mar 26, 2009.

RambleJ335 guest

My car has been having a hard time turning over when the engine has cooled down, this has been happening for over 2 and a half weeks. I am under the assumption that this is my fuel pump again (my car has already had a hpfp replaced twice before) but I have yet to receive a SES along with Engine malfunction/Reduced Power. Without this error the dealer cannot replace the pump! This is getting ridiculous, my car has been running half par due to this issue but BMWNA will not authorize a hpfp replacement until engine failure has been initiated.. :mad:
    Is there some type of work around to get my fuel pump replaced under warranty without waiting like this? :(

mose121 guest

How do you know it's the high pressure pump? We've replaced quite a few low pressure units as well, just not nearly as many. If you want it to be fixed, you need to leave it at the dealer until they can verify if it's the highor low pressure side. This should be able to be done in 2-3 days by a decent tech. The car does have to indicate some error though, so you need to give the dealer the exact details surrounding the fault so they can duplicate your exact concern. When exactly does it happen/temp outside/first start or doesn't matter/what fuel your using/etc. Any info is good info. If they can get it to happen, they can determine which side is causing the problem, high or low. 50% of incorrect diagnosis is driven by inaccurate information given to the dealer by the client. You just can't say, "my car cranks excessively at times.". That doesn't cut it.

Good luck.

RambleJ335 guest

I am going off of my past experiences with this car. My car has been in 2 other times to have the hpfp replaced and before they fuel pumps went out I encountered the same type of symptoms. I explained to the SA when the car is having a hard time turning over which is basically first thing in the morning, when i leave for my lunch break and when I leave from work, it seems to happen when the engine has cooled down), I always use premium gas from either shell or chevron, I left the car at the dealer for a week and they advised me that it is the pump again but they need to wait until the car puts out an error code before they can get auth from BMWNA before they can replace it.. :confused: Don't get me wrong I love my car and my dealership.. I just want my car back @ 100% again.