Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

factory speaker upgrades?

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by jackem17, Mar 24, 2009.

jackem17 guest

Seriously, nobody has ever upgraded their speakers?? I entered several possibilities into the search window on this forum and came up w/ nada. Surely someone has replaced the inferior products that are sold stock w/ these otherwise outstanding automobiles.

I've checked w/ Crutchfield and have seen that the factory speaker size does not match any after market speakers sold. At least none that they carry. Bav Auto sells an upgrade for about $600 and this is so far my only option. Has anyone bought these speakers and would you recommend them to me? Has anyone bought or found any different options?

Please help me upgrade my woefully inadequate audio system!:confused::(

John in VA

Brian A

I can't believe that Crutchfield said they did not stock speakers that would fit. That is amazing. E46s are pretty common cars. Crutchfield have stuff for everything! (They did at least for the weird rear speakers openings in an E30 convertible.)

EuroWerkz1

Bavarian Sound has great products that I have used on several BMW applications, fantastic results and great people to work with.

jackem17 guest

custom shop in Roseville, Ca

Thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry.
    This sat I went to a couple box stores to see what was available and to get a base line for my own knowledge base. What a bunch of lackeys. Didn't know much to begin w/ and couldn't answer even my most rudimentary questions. Ended up at a shop in Roseville, CA called Car Audio Innovations. Owners name is Rod, great guy. Seems he's a Porche nut and owns a couple BMW's also. After cheking out their web site, www.caraudioinnovations.com, I decided he was gonna get my business. Needless to say he is the geeky electrical engineer type. But boy what a resume.
    I have not actually had my speakers/subwoofers/amp put in yet, (my apt is this weds) but from what I heard in his shop (which was currently occupied by a couple other BMW's a Porche, a Chevy truck and custom 50's street rod) I am sure I will be impressed to say the least.
    From the bare bones stuff to some really expensive gear (he has an amp which he carries for $12,500.00. That's right), apparently his shop does it all. He seemed to have every answer to every question I threw at him. Really knowlegeable guy. Speaker depth in the door. Gauge of wire used in the factory. BSW speakers. Special jigs to cut out the existing flange to accomodate a bit larger speaker in the door. Factory specs on the factory amp (not good).
    Do yourself a favor and check out his web site. Very impressive.
    Anyway if anyone from N. CA is in need of a stereo upgrade, (aren't we all?) Look no further than Rods shop.

P.S. Don't forget your checkbook, it can get real pricey, real quick.

jackem17 guest

Speaker upgrade update

Well it took a bit longer than I'd hoped (or was told) but overall I am very pleased w/ the quality of the work and the sound is without a doubt the most impressive stereo I've heard. Extreme clarity and accuracy are what the Hertz brand is all about and boy do they deliver.

Once again thanks to Rod at Car Audio Innovations and I highly recommend his shop to anyone looking to really upgrade your audio system. Visit his shop if you're in the area, you won't be dissapointed.:)

GregS_WI guest

Couple questions

What did he say about them? I'm a loooong way from CA so I need a DIY solution. Is BSW any good?

And, what about some specifics? What did you end up with?

Thanks.

Solidjake guest

I'd say BSW, but it's kinda pricey.

jackem17 guest

Greg, Rod said that BSW uses "Rainbow" speakers. I believe this is a brand, as he does not carry them we did not discuss them any further. Everyone I have spoken to in the BMW community or have read on line has nothing but good things to say about them.

I did not replace the head unit as I wanted the car to remain stock in apperance. The system is also completly reversible, ie. nothing was permantly modified.

I ended up w/ the following:
    1ep5 Hertz 500w amp (4x60 +1x160 @ 4ohms) $500.00
    1 set esk 130.2 Hertz 5 1/2" Hi Energy Speakers w/ detachable tweeters $250.00
    1 set JL Audio 8" Poly Subwoofers (150 watts, 4 ohms) $180.00
    1 custom Sub enclosure (covered in same trunk carpeting & mounted (looks factory) $245.00
    Various wireing harness' & adaptors $175.00
    Labor $750.00

Obviously not just your average stereo. Wasn't looking for any BOOM, BOOM,BOOM... "Pumpin' nothin' but bass". I don't listen to that type of music. What I wanted was a system that would be to my ears what my BMW is to my heart. I got just that. Incredible highs and mids w/ enough bass to vibrate the rear window, (easily detected thru the rearview mirror). I consider myself an audiophile and wanted to have a system in my car that rivals my home stereo system (Yamaha front end w/ Klipsh surround and a rather sizeable flat screen LCD). Did I buy it based on ego? No, I bought it because it sounds just like I thought it would when installed and I am very happy w/ the investment. Perhaps it is a bit much for some but for others it is just what the Dr. ordered. You've already purchased the "Ultimate Driving Machine", why not make the stereo system match?
    Good luck w/ your stereo. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I do mine.

P.S. It truly does add to the driving experience. I just got home from a 4 hr drive from my parents home in the central valley for Easter, on a normally boreing road (straight & flat, 65 mph), I thoroughly enjoyed myself in my car while listening to my stereo.

GregS_WI guest

Thanks for the info. I like your approach. I'm still leaning toward BSW stage 1 for drop in replacement in my e39. But the e46 needs addresing as well. Just need a little more time...little more disposable income...