Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E36 M3 "speed" shop.

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1995-1999)' started by ltir, Mar 23, 2008.

ltir guest

Can anyone recommend a good "speed" shop that has proven experience with the E36 M3? I titled this thread generically so it could be used to house recommendations for shops throughout the States, but my question is specific to the eastern PA/central NJ area. Thanks.

-Russ

M3Driver guest

I'd suggest Turner Motorsport in Amsbury Mass. I don't know how close they are to you, but they have got the knowledge. (www.turnermotorsport.com)

ltir guest

Thanks for the suggestion. It's interesting that you mentioned TMS since I asked the question after reading the "M3 Buyer's Guide" in issue 51 of Bimmer Magazine; which said that TMS offers an intake and camshaft package for the 96+ E36 M3 that makes 296hp! While I was looking for a shop that's a little closer; perhaps the 5-6hr trip could turn into a fun extended weekend. Thanks again.

-Russ

p.s. If I go to TMS I'll have to bring my 4 year old son as his favorite racecar is the #96 TMS E46 M3 that Bill Auberlen drives in the Koni Challenge. He even has a poster of the car over his bed.

JSimmons

I am interested to hear about some "speed" shops as well. I used to be into trying to squeeze extra horsepower out of cars, however, I've kind of drifted away from that scene recently. But, I always wondered what the "bang for your buck" factor was with E36 M3s. Those of you that are into massaging the engine, what kind of power do you find you get compared with the amount of money spent on those modifications?

Every old hot rodder I've ever met has always said, "speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?" :rolleyes:

regards,
    Joel

ltir guest

The ICS videos are pretty extreme and TMS has a great selection on their website. Can anyone share their personal experiences with TMS, ICS, Dinan, or any other notable speed/performance shop?

JSimmons

Pretty cool videos. That one of the M3 on the highway is insane. I'm not sure if the camera car was hitting the brakes when he accelerated or what...but geez...talk about high velocity.

Joel

jmaconaghy guest

Speed Shop in NJ

Check out Don's web site at Mr M Car. His shop is in Farmingdale NJ. I am making arrangments with him to look over my recently purchased 95 M3. He seems to be the real deal although I don't have any experience with him personally to give you my opinion of his work.
    J-Mac

ozzm3

Tms

My car is a regular customer at Turner - excellent service and expert advice, talk with
    Kevin (Service Manager) before upgrading anything.

mda185

Mr M Car recommended

I took my 95 525i Touring to Don for a 5 speed conversion and was very pleased with the quality of his work. Whatever you do, don't try to go cheap on performance mods for your M3. Trying to cut corners on parts or labor with these cars never has a good ending. Take it to a reputable shop with BMW expertise. Mr M Car gets my vote for the central NJ area. When I can't do the work myself, Don is the only one I have found to be trustworthy in my area.

Mark
    95 525iT w/5 spd and S52 conversion
    97 328iC (soon to have S52 conversion)

DentsM3

I have had great luck and results with Active Autowerke

The service with active is awesome and the products are top notch.www.activeautowerke.com

starkhundin guest

Synthetic guest

+1 for VAC and +1 for Active although Miami is not close> I am also a fan of Turner and UUC.

So many good Bimmer shops to choose from.

Dave93M325

I would add Bimmerworld to your list. Like Turner, they are proving their technology meddle on race tracks.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Bill ONeill

TMS is great, no doubt. But you might also consider Mike Yaskin at Bavarian Specialties in King of Prussia, PA. Mike's been tweaking bimmers forever, and his shop might be closer to you.

http://www.bavarianspecialties.com/home.shtml

Bill
    '95 M3
    '03 330i ZHP