Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Angry

Discussion in 'E24 (1977-1989)' started by Shively, Mar 24, 2009.

Shively guest

Well sorta
    I guess despite my hard core feelings of BMW being the best car , I just don't have the best eh fasted model.

I was driving along the highway last night and had some 1990? Corvette pull up and gunned it. Something got me riled up and I gunned my 635 csi, Man he smoked me, I was going 120 however he was not able to lose me, I rode his backside all the way to the freeway exit.

I guess my question is I'm trying to find any model out there that can either match or beat a corvette.

Granted this smog device I have on my car causes it to go slower, its not that huge of a difference cept for torque.. I'm not all knowing of cars but have the basics both in general and BMWs.

So any advice on a next purchase that is a fast model?

az3579

Was that 'vette a V8? The csi only has about 215 stock horsepower. The V8 vette has quite a bit more, depending on which model it was. If you say a 90's model, it had at a minimum 245 horsepower if it had the L98 engine, but if it had a LT5, you're looking at a minimum of 300 ponies...

Any way you look at it, your M30 did pretty darned good!
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Unless it was an 88 or 89 635csi, it would only have about 189 ponies. Hang a blower on it and be done with it. You shouldn't be racing on the interstate anyhow.

az3579

Yeah, that too. :D

BlueAngel M3 guest

If he couldn't lose you then I highly doubt you need a new BMW. If you want something that can run like a champ and whip him, then I suggest the ''Beast'' (M5). :D

Nik

mooseheadm5

Actually, I have an S38B35 drivetrain from a 1988 M5 that would be a direct bolt in to your 6 series. At nearly 300HP, you could probably take him. I have taken an NSX with an M5 easy. Add forced induction and you'd be pretty unstoppable.
    PM me if you want it :)

Shively guest

Well I purchased mine for 1k a 635 csi 1985 US version. I'm about to remove the dam smog device as I noticed a lot less torque since getting it.

I've spent almost 4k in engine work and its basicly rebuilt.

I'm getting the insides redone but may not stay stock since I have a look and design thats a little different. I know I should not be racing but I just hit my 30s and feel the midlife crisis comming on.

Anyways I'm pretty sure he had a V8 but the heck if he could lose me, he got no more than 2 car lengths ahead of me and we raced for about 5 miles with hardly ANY traffic.

My question being somewhat new to cars is what type of stuff can I add to the car to help get that extra bit of torque / speed to it ( I know that smog device killsmy engine and will be removed till I move to cali)

Thanks in advance, this is my 2nd car ever and my first BMW. I just started a part time 2nd job so I can continue on the long list of things to restore her!!!

Shively guest

Ill keep that in mind, atm I'm finishing 24 credits for my degree and most my money does go towards bills. I recently got a part time job but theres a few more things I need to do before I work on the extra little inprovements I want outside of the car

mooseheadm5

Smog device? What are you talking about? The cat? That is not what is holding you back.

Shively guest

Yea I noticed my torque went way down, not that I do it on purpose but I put the pedal down when the light hit green and my tires spun, now I would have to gun it for that to happen.

Also and please don't flame but, I am totaly new to BMW but where the heck is the radiator cap at, I need to add some coolant!!

mooseheadm5

The coolant tank is over on the shock tower. You add coolant there. It is possible that if you had a muffler shop hack the crap out of your exhaust and install a universal cat that you have restricted the exhaust. I had that problem on my old M5 from the previous owner, but I fixed that by making a 3" exhaust for the car. That pretty much took care of that problem. The stock cats are not very restrictive at all, though.

barry8108 guest

The 635 is not made to race corvette's. . They were made to cruise at high speeds, not short races. If u want a fast BMW buy a M series or something like a 540/6. That will give a 90's corvette a race for his money.

chicane

Yeah an 85 has about 182 hp and if she is up there in age it's less than that. To think you even went up against a Vette, any modern Vette is laughable. And yeah, you shouldn't be racing on public roads....

bcweir

I totally agree. It's not about what you're driving, it's HOW you're driving.

Not only is it illegal to remove or tamper with an emissions device on public roads (that's federal law, not state), you're actually doing yourself, your car, and everyone around you a disservice.

I'm not just being a "tree hugger" or "environmental nut" here.

Your car is an OBD I vehicle. That means you have an oxygen sensor and a catalytic converter. Your car uses this oxygen sensor to determine how much unburned fuel, as well as the presence of carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides going into your exhaust. The oxygen sensor then converts this to a voltage reading to tell your car's computer whether to add more or less fuel to the mixture. This has a direct effect on your performance by controlling the amount of fuel going into your combustion chamber.

If it detects an erroneous or faulty reading (ie. disabling or gutting an emissions device will do this), most OBD-I cars will by default go into an over-rich mode. This means its dumping too much fuel into your combustion chamber (going "rich") to keep you from cooking your engine (which would be going too "lean" -- not enough fuel and too much oxygen). Go lean too long and your engine is an overcooked paperweight.

Removing the emissions device won't give you any benefit in performance whatsoever. The car's engine management system will simply dump fuel into your combustion chambers (too much fuel into the fuel air mixture), resulting in an exhaust that will smell like raw gasoline and be DOWN on power.

My facts are showing the M5 S38B5 engine in U.S. spec emissions trim puts out 252 hp. Your car's stock engine is only 189. Your car is outclassed by nearly every Corvette ever made, with or without the engine swap. Your power output will be even less than 189 if you tamper with the emissions. In addition, the 1985 635 outweighs the Corvette by quite a few hundred pounds. The E24 is not a race car or a sports car -- and neither is yours. It's a large two-door luxury coupe.

Oh yeah, and please stop racing on public roads before you kill yourself or someone else -- to say nothing of potentially damaging or destroying what sounds like a beautiful automobile. Add my voice to the chorus pleading for you to take your competitive racing tendencies to the safety of a closed race course designed for such speed exhibitions.

To do otherwise is putting yourself, others, and your automobile at terrible and unnecessary risk.

So you need to put your car and other human lives at risk to prove something to yourself? If so, you've got bigger problems than the vehicle does. The rest of us that share the highway would like to make it to our destinations safely too.

MGarrison

Ack - if that's how you're feeling NOW, I hate to think how you're going to be feeling when you really get to mid-life. What, you don't expect to live over 60?? If you keep allowing some other fool on the road challenging you to get under yer skin and respond by doing exactly what they want.. well... yeah, maybe you _won't_ make it to 60!

But that's not what I want for you... nor do I want to lecture you on appropriate driving behavior and anger management. I don't think it's a bad thing to have a competitive spirit, enthusiasm & drive; however - you might want to consider how you channel some of that. Around here, I think we do appreciate anyone who's enthusiastic about driving and their car(s), particularly if the auto-of-choice is a bimmer. So, in that regard, welcome to the world of BMW's and the club, glad to see you into and enjoying your car.

As much of a adrenaline rush as driving fast on the highway may be, consider that there are far safer and responsible ways to enjoy your vehicle at speed. You would probably really enjoy the BMWCCA driver's schools going on throughout the country every year. You'll learn more about driving than you thought was possible in your first weekend, and simultaneously realize that there's waaaay more to learn than is possible in 10, 20, or 30 weekends, much less just one - all while having immense fun in the learning.

And, you'll learn that driving fast in a straight line doesn't mean much except at a dragstrip, the straights are there only to get you to the next corner, and getting through the turn is the challenge. Anyway, they're fun, you learn a lot, and getting some track time under your belt goes a long way towards taking care of one's need for speed, in a venue where you're not risking your license, or the public's safety.

Best of luck with your studies and your car - when you have the time and money for it, get to one of our driver's schools; in the meantime, be safe, make good choices, and don't forget the rest of us are out there on the road too!

az3579

Look for the expansion tank.

(small pic)
    It's the yellowish tank you see that dominates this picture:
    [IMG]

granthr

If you want a fast BMW then you want a S 1000 RR. 193hp and it only weights 450lbs wet!!! :D

CRKrieger

To add the final blow to your ego, if you really stayed near this 'Vette for five miles, he was just playing with you. He could have disappeared easily. Keep it on the track and, as my pal MooseheadM5 says, don't go messing with any "smog device" on the car. That is not the problem. You have one of the most beautiful BMWs ever built. Please don't wad it up into a little ball before you learn how to drive it properly.

FWIW, my first 'real' mid-life crisis was at 35 which I addressed by buying my first BMW: a '74 2002. It has only been since then that I started attending driver schools, autocrossing, and eventually becoming a 'CCA driving instructor. You've got plenty of time unless, as Marshall fears, you really do pack it in before you're 60.

tiFreak

this is a year old thread ;)

bcweir

Not anymore!!!

It's looking pretty fresh to me for a year old thread! Some people just don't MIND leftovers!