Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

528e Trunk Latch

Discussion in 'E28 (1982-1988)' started by dnewhouse6, Mar 23, 2009.

dnewhouse6 guest

I was tinkering on my trunk latch, closed the trunk, and now it will not open. Does anyone know how I can undo my screw up??:confused:
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Yes, but it often requires a drilling a hole in just the right spot :(

You mean it won't even open with the key, right? Have you tried turning it to unlock with the key in it and pushing on the button at the same time? Sometimes this works.

granthr

You can bust out a tail light (expensive) and then unbolt the latch. :( I have done this a number of times in junk yards when the trunk is locked. If you resort to this, just be careful you don't damage the body work of the car. Including the small tabs that the tail light bolts up to.

dnewhouse6 guest

It is unlocked (I think). But the latch will not release. Not sure what has happened--it is like the latch mechanism has moved up or down, and is not releasing the trunk at all.:(

alotawatts

Info from MyE28
    http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=35350&highlight=trunk lid stuck
    http://www.mye28.com/search.php?mode=results
    Try 'trunk stuck' in the keyword search - in the above link
    Another lockout story here - not me
    This actually just happened to me yesterday. I squirted a generous amount of wd-40 into the lock mechanism directly through the little red tube and it unstuck immediately. The mechanism is still a little gummy feeling so I'll probably clean it of old gucky grease and re-lube it when the weather is warmer, but it works for now

I turn the key counter clockwise and have to push down on my truck lid to get mine to unlatch