Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Brake warning reset

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by Manjestic, Mar 17, 2009.

Manjestic

2001 325iA.

Last summer I bought a four-wheel brake kit from Turner Motorsports (great folks) anticipating I would need new brakes soon. Last month, at 65K miles, the amber brake light came on as did the warning that the stability system/ABS etc. is inactivated. So, I changed the rotors, wear sensors and pads. Bled the system, also.

I've searched the forum and see that the procedure for resetting the brake warning light, yet the procedure doesn't work for me. Bentley and others say 30 seconds with the key in the ON position. I've waited up to 5 minutes with no luck.

I checked the sensors for continuity. They seem to be fine. One thread said the warning light could also indicate low brake fluid. I'll double check.

Any thoughts before I swap out sensors?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Make sure your door is closed when you do this, and definitely check your brake fluid level.

Edit:
    Is your ABS system light still on? If so, you probably have a bad speed sensor OR a bad ABS module. Both of these are common problems with the car.

Manjestic

Door was closed during the procedure.

Not sure if the triangle with the arrow circle includes ABS or not but both that light and the amber "BRAKE" warning came on when I hit the brakes, prior to doing the brake job. I assumed that when the wear signal is set it deactivates the stability/traction/ABS systems since it doesn't know the condition of the brake system.

It would be quite a coincidence that an ABS module or speed sensor died exactly as my wear sensor tripped. Though, I didn't actually confirm that the sensors tripped. I assumed it was the brake wear that caused it; I was counting on it actually.

Good point.

mooseheadm5

You assumed too much. The brakes might have been fine. The ABS is not deactivated when the pads are thin. You have a problem and need to take your car to have it scanned. Often if the ABS module is bad, it will say that one or more speed sensors or valves are bad. If it says that a wheel speed sensor is bad and that sensor tests OK, then you need a new module. This will cost at least $750+ programming at an independent shop or the dealer (go to an indy shop with an Autologic or GT1.) Your other choice is to send it to Module masters, but you gotta pull and replace it yourself and they may or may not be able to repair yours.

Manjestic

These were the original pads at 65K miles. They were pretty thin. Not sure if they were thin enough to trip the sensors with absolute certainty, but they were in need of replacement.

Thanks for the info. I'll check the fluid level, and run the procedure once more. If that solves nothing, then I'm off to the dealer. I don't have a GT1 at my disposal. :(

mooseheadm5

Try to find an independent shop. It will be cheaper.

Manjestic

Update: The fluid level is fine. Lights won't reset. Off to the shop.