Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

530i OBD II codes

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by clemmike, Mar 6, 2009.

clemmike guest

I have a 2003 530i with 87000 miles and codes P0171,P0174,P1083 and P1085.Any thoughts or common
    areas to look for intake vacuum leaks.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Intake boots (upper and lower), brake booster check valve, DISA valve, crankcase vent valve and associated hoses and pipes.

clemmike guest

530i codes

Thanks for advise!Will ck out today,but what is DISA valve?

mooseheadm5

clemmike guest

Thanks for advise.Found clamp on lower intake boot about falling off.Tightened clamp,cleaned MAF and cleared codes.Have driven 125 miles and still code free.

mooseheadm5

Cool. That was probably your problem, then. Bet it idles a little better, too, eh?

clemmike guest

Does idle better,thanks again for your help!!

clemmike guest

Light and codes have returned.Car seems to run well and light will come and go.I guess a smoke test is in my future.Is it normal for car to about stall at idle if you remove oil fill cao or dipstick?

mooseheadm5

Yes, that is normally what will happen when you pull the oil cap or dipstick. If you have a perfectly tight system with no vacuum leaks, it may not stall with the dipstick out. It is possible that you have another vaccum leak elsewhere. Keep checking where I pointed out, but the crankcase vent valve is not an easy thing to diagnose without smoke.

clemmike guest

Thanks again,will update when I have more to report

clemmike guest

Success at last.Finally had a chance to spend some time on car.Found vent line from oil separator to dipstick tube split so I replaced it. BAD move! Started car and had major blue smoke and engine miss.Pulled and found all the plugs oil covered.Removed and broke open oil separator found diaphram split in upper half.Replaced separator and hoses with updated kit from JMK BMW (a PITA job) today and car drives great!