Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

DCT vs. 6 Speed

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by baz99, Mar 4, 2009.

baz99 guest

I am considering a new M3, but can't decide between the DCT and the 6 speed. Comments on preference welcome.

BIMMIR guest

The stick, always the stick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pseto

stick has less electrical parts and should be more reliable and fun

az3579

6-speed. Sure, DCT is much faster in shifting, but try using DCT when you have to quickly reverse, or rock your car out of a snowy spot if you're as crazy as I am (I would use an M3 in the snow if I had one!). You're just too limited with this electronic rubbish, so stick with the tried-and-true 6-speed. Besides, it's much more fun. :D

And I forgot to mention that it's sooooo much cooler to have a manual than an automatic. Yes, I said it, and it's true; anything with an automatic shifting mode is an auto!
    M cars shouldn't come with any type of auto tranny, IMO.

kkratoch

I cannot comment on the DCT but I had a SMG and traded it in on a 6 speed. I would never go back. 6 speed all the way.

Lexington guest

Suppose you could try both and decide which you prefer. I got the chance to drive a couple of M3s with DCT last week at the PC and they work great especially using the paddle shifters. With the DCT you get the best of both MT and AT.

granthr

Keep the manual alive!!! Buy the Manual Shift!!!

CryNoMo guest

I've always been a 6MT but this time its DCT M3 for me!

I've owned an 08 6MT and upgraded to a 09 DCT, its was the better of the two tranny, especially after experiencing both at the Performance Center School.

330indy1

Manual tranny cars allow you to really control the throttle, with blips/ true rev matching, etc.
    I agree with the above statement... for example, BMW mandated the Z4M cars to only come with manual transmission.

But, and there is always a but, the luxo-cruiser M models TODAY are big and heavy and a manual transmission makes you work.
    In fact, they're about to get even bigger and heavier... (X models)

You need to drive both versions and see what works for YOU.

BRDHNTR guest

If I lived in a city, I would have considered the DCT. Luckily, I drive backroads to work everyday, so I love the 6MT.

spin1200 guest

Get the 6speed!
    So I can pass you with my DCT! hahaha

BlueAngel M3 guest

I test drove the DCT. Great! Sweet But i'll say stick for now.

330indy1

Reviewers

Roundel, Bimmer and Road & Track all voted for the manual 6-sp over the DCT in the new Z4.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Well, not exactly!

Oh oh: I may not have made myself clear, if you're talking about the June Roundel story on the Z4. (By the way, that DCT IS the same box as in the M3; what costs so much more in the M3 is programming, apparently.) I believe I could come to love the DCT, but I have so many years in manuals that I'm much more comfortable with a clutch. And I have never had my hands on a DCT, an SMG, or an automatic that did EXACTLY what I wanted WHENEVER I wanted.

Of course, that can always include the Money Shift that so many of our pals insist on executing now and then. . . .

:cool:

330indy1

I read your review to concur with Egan's immediate attraction to the manual tranny, at the end of your review. .... that the car was better connected to the driver....
    ... and.as your pal Mr. Egan put it in his conclusion:

"How compelling, of course, will depend, for many, on price. Base prices will be $45,750 for the 255-bhp naturally aspirated version and $51,650 for the twin-turbo sDrive35i. Add more if you opt for upgrades such as the iDrive and nav package, or the 7-speed semi-automatic transmission.
    My own instinct would be to keep this car as simple as possible. In sports cars, less is often more."

But I realize that the BMW people frown (literally) if you don't give their latest 'wizardry' some props.
    (that part of your article had me laughing).

RocketJohn

if you don't like driving let the car do it for you...

If you like driving, 6 speed...

Arash2002tii guest

Manual over automatic any day. BMW should have kept it like they did with the E30 M3, M cars should only come in manuals.

srobmw guest

+1

The clutch ftw!