Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E90

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Babydoc168, Mar 4, 2009.

Babydoc168

I made the mistake of selling my 2007 335i sedan. Now, I'm looking to sell the car that I traded for it. I was looking for a certified pre-owned E90. Any feedback whether there is a particular model that serves as a good CPO car? I have considered the '06 325i, '06 330, '07 328, '07 335i. Any thoughts? Is it better to avoid the '06 model year since it was the first year of the E90? Also, anyone out there put a lot of miles on a 335i? How is the engine holding up? Any overheating issues?

Thanks

Greg

pseto

i'm not sure how you would live with yourself from going from a 335i to a 325/328 :D too big of a drop in performance IMO. almost 40k miles on my 335 and loving every minute. i've replaced the fuel pump, but never have overheating issues. i havent heard of any longterm issues with this engine yet.

Babydoc168

I know. The car was 'chipped.' I ended up trading to an Acura TL because we were moving cross country because of my job. I was trying to reduce my car payments. I moved cross country and ended up with a pay raise (had I known this, I would've kept the car). I only had 10k miles on it before I sold it.

Greg

az3579

My suggestion is to get a new one, but if you can't quite afford it yet, then the 330i is the lowest one you should even consider. So, 330i or 335i all the way!

Babydoc168

Very nice looking coupe. Any mods?

GWL

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Hold out for a new one. . . here's why!

Ms, Kelly, aka Party A, has the first-year 335i (2007), even though she would usually steer clear of the first run of any techno-heavy BMW. But if she had her druthers, she would LOVE a new one---because the hot-soot nav system/iDrive set-up has come down from the new Seven to the 3 Series, I believe. Man, it is way bitchin'!

The other option she regrets not ordering? Park-distance control. And I agree; I can't tell where any corner of the car might be. . . .

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Babydoc168

Thanks so much. I am not sure if they are dealing much on the '09. My dilemma: Do I do nothing for the time being; trade my Acura for an '03 M5 or try to get an '07 or '08 335i. I had a wonderful '07 335i which I miss. Any idea as to where the new ones are selling in relation to invoice?

wretched

Well I can't help you about 335 except for the fact I WANT ONE! But I did buy a Pre Owned 2006 330i and it has about 50,000 miles on it now and it has been rock solid! The power is decent but not 335 levels.

Babydoc168

I am now eyeing a 2006 330i with 6 MT and sport package for 21k. I think it is a decent price. What is the typical life span of tires on the sport package. I had a 335i without the sport package. I drove the car about 11k miles and then sold it. I've heard of people having to replace these tires early.

Thanks

Greg

mlandau guest

I know this is kind of a late response, but they are most definitely dealing on the 09's. They have nice incentives and you should be able to get it for less then $1000 over invoice. Haven't you heard, new cars aren't exactly flying off the lots right now. :)

eam3

Back in 2004 I made a similar mistake. It was between a 330i manual and the then new 2004 TL 6 speed. I got a great lease deal on the Acura so (in hindsight) I mistakenly chose the TL. I had more minor issues with the TL than I care to remember. When the lease ended I was so happy to return the car and say good riddance to Acura and their ridiculously overpriced maintenance.

I know they're dealing right now because my dad has been contemplating replacing his 330Ci ZHP with a new 335i Coupe. And the salesman told him that the dealer is definitely wheeling and dealing because they're not moving cars like they're used to.

Babydoc168

Thanks for all the input. I managed to score a 2006 BMW 330i with 35k miles on it. It is black sapphire metallic with sport and premium packages. It has heated seats and steptronic. It also has folding rear seats and heated seats. It has the terra leather interior. It is in pretty good shape. I did some research into this car's history and found that it somehow already has CPO coverage to 100k miles and the original warranty is in effect until 9/2010. The previous owner also had maintenance upgraded to 100k miles. It does not have the blistering performance of my beloved 335i but it sure is quite a blast to drive. It winds readily to 7k. I am thinking that I will drive this car to 100k miles and then see what comes available in terms of a CPO 335i or 335d when the time comes. :)

Satch SoSoCalifortified

You got the prize!

If I undertsand the data correctly, you got the one-year-only E90 330i with the N52 engine, the REAL N52, with about 255 horsepuppies! That's the magnesium-sandwich engine that they DETUNED for the subsequent 328i!

Do keep a watch on the aluminum head bolts. . .

Babydoc168

Yes, that is correct. I managed to find one with time/mileage remaining on the original factory warranty. It also has the CPO warranty. In addition, it somehow got its maintenance coverage extended to 100 k miles. I wanted to ask a little more about the aluminum head bolts. Is this related to the 'ticking' that I've heard many owners complain about? It seems like for some it happens at idle or just above it while for others it happens at 2k. I notice an intermittent tapping noise which happens in the lower gears when I go to pass when I wind the engine above 4k. I cannot always reproduce it. I opened the hood and let the engine idle (didn't hear it). I revved it to 2k, then to 3k (still can't reproduce it).

So is the N52 considered an all around, better engine than the N54. I miss the tire roasting torque of the 335 but I have been pretty happy with this find.

Thanks for the input.

G