Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Radio volume goes up/down

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Swooz, Feb 26, 2009.

Swooz

I just took delivery of an 09 328i (did not get the Logic 7...darn) and adjusted the radio volume to only go up slightly when I drive faster. I've noticed all week that the volume goes up and down on its own, almost like I have a speaker short or something.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

John in VA

On our E46, that is a special feature, to compensate for noise at speed. There are 5 different sensitivity settings for this on our HK system. Check your owner's manual.

mlweaver

This is the second thread I have seen concerning this behavior in the (non-Logic 7) radio in the E90 series cars. There may indeed be a "peculiar behavior" ... BMW probably would not consider it a "defect".
    Sounds like the symptom is not related to the speed compensation function.
    It sounds like aggressive limiting or even audio compression.
    I don't have this system, so I can't speak with authority. I am just passing on info from another member.
    The only thing I can suggest is to make sure the EQ settings are FLAT. (Especially the BASS control - make sure it is not boosted at all). Also make sure the balance and fade controls are neutral.

Since it is a brand new car, you might see if the dealer acknowledges the behavior. I'd be interested to hear what they say ...
    Regards,
    MW

bseli guest

Try a simple test by zeroing out the speed sensitivity volume, then taking her for a spin at varying speeds to see if your issue is related to this function.

Just my 2 cents...

jimlub guest

I have had a similar problem but, it mainly occurs when CDs are played. Have not noted it from the radio.

Swooz

Still having issues with the audio volume

Well, I've tried zeroing out the auto volume control and yet still I hear what appears to be the signal fading in and out - even when I'm stopped at a light!! I can't tell you how ticked I am over this issue when I had absolutely NO issues with my 02 325i with the premium sound system. Let's just say for the money I paid I should get a stereo system that works well. I wonder if this would be happening if I had laid out the cash for the Logic 7...:mad:

Wanderlustbob guest

I say talk to your dealer service people and see if they can find a problem or maybe they'll just replace it. Knock on wood, I also did not upgrade my system and so far have NOT noticed this issue. I do have my Bass up some because I like it that way and do have it changing slightly with speed. But so far, so good.

Its under warrenty so they have to help you out the hard part is getting them to hear it in action. Even if they dont I would think they would still have to consider replacing it at least once if you keep noticing it.