Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Malfunction of Electronic Oil Level Check (2008 550i)

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by patb2390, Mar 20, 2008.

patb2390

Almost 2 months ago I got my oil changed at my local dealer. When I got it back I checked the oil status on the Control Display and it was reading too high. I brought it back a couple of days later thinking that maybe they put too much oil. They replaced the oil and it was still reading too high. The dealer said it was the sensor, but when they replaced it the oil level was still reading high. They finally had to reprogram the system and it was finally reading right. Now the status of the oil level is back to reading too high.

Spoke with the Service manager today and he said he would have to make a few calls to figure out why this is happening before I bring it back in.

Has anyone had this problem with the electronic oil level check?

330indy1

good job BMW !

Premium (and I do mean premium-paid) cars like your 550i should never have these issues, nor any BMW for that matter. :mad:

How could they approve this idea of no dipstick, by committee?! :confused:

Please keep us posted on this. And you have my sympathy.

mjweimer

I am interested in what your dealer determines to be the problem.

Rumor has it that a lot of these sensors are failing on the non-dip-stick cars but I have never heard any solid information to back up that statement.

Matt

patb2390

I heard from the service manager at my local dealer and asked me to bring in the car so they can try an diagnose the problem with the oil level sensor. I will post an update on what they find when I get the car back.

330indy1

cool, hope it goes well

What loaner did you get??

patb2390

'07 328i, I wish they had the 335i as the loaner.

patb2390

Just got my car back from the dealer. They said that they got the sensor for the oil fixed. Service manager drove it and it was reading fine. I didn't check it until I got near my home, as it takes a few miles to get a reading, and it is still reading oil level too high. Called the service manager back and told him the bad news. He wants me to bring it back tomorrow, but I told him to do more research because reprogramming the computer and changing the sensor is obviously not the answer.

So I'll be waiting on the service manager to give me a call and find out what he finds out.

mjweimer

Interesting.

I am curious if they really replaced the sensor or if they re-calibrated it somehow?

This thread is very interesting in this world of no dipstick BMW's. I wonder what kind of longevity we can expect from these since the failures are occurring in essentially new vehicles.

Matt

cj morgan guest

what's wrong with just having a dipstick...jeez

330indy1

u n b e l i e v a b l e

man, your patience is virtuous!

mjweimer

My thoughts exactly!

patb2390

The dealer finally got the oil sensor to read right. When they brought up my problem to BMW tech support, they were told to give all the data they had collected on my car when I last left it at the dealer. BMW tech support had suggested to take out about a half qt of oil as they say that the oil sensor is too sensitive. I don't buy this reason. I think they just put too much oil. When I ordered my car and got it this past Oct. the oil sensor was reading fine. I only had a problem with the oil sensor after I brought it in for an oil change after my break in period. So for about 3000 miles of driving this sensor was ok.

As of now (2 days and counting) the oil sensor seems to be reading fine.

mjweimer

Well, a simple fix it seems.

Interesting that they mention the sensor is too sensitive. I guess better too sensitive than not!

Matt

330indy1

it is hard to believe this was the issue

too much oil? wow, but the engine design is now susceptible to this.

by the way.... what are the risks to an engine from an overfill?

mjweimer

Well, if you really, really overfill an engine the crankshaft will whip the oil into a foam and the potential exists to suck this mess into the oil pump and through the engine. Not good.

The other issue is that oil may begin to weep out of the seals at the front and rear of the crank (and maybe others). These radial seals are designed for more of a wiping function then a retention function.

Most engines can tolerate a moderate amount of overfill and some folks recommend overfilling certain engines ~1/2 qt for track duty. The S14 in the E30 M3 is an example of this.

Matt

biglen

I have an '08 535xi and hate this no dipstick. They don't even tell you the oil capacity in the manual and the dealer says "it's between 7-8 quarts". Can't wait to hear the respultion.

BMWCCA1

Punch the last seven digits of your VIN in here and it should give you your fluid capacities. Looks like 6.5L for engine oil.