Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Cracks in the faux woodgrain panel near the gear shift...

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by drummerfc, Feb 22, 2009.

drummerfc

I can't say for sure how it happened...probably the extreme cold snap a few weeks back...but I noticed 2 hairline cracks in the faux woodgrain panel on the console surrounding the gearshift. Small cracks but big enough to notice and for it to be a bother.

Question is - worth fixing? I'm asking strictly from a dollars and cents standpoint, not from an aesthetics standpoint (if it was that issue alone, it's a YES all around!). Also, if anyone has an idea of the average cost of this part or where I could get a reasonably priced one, please advise.

Thanks...

BIMMIR guest

I'm looking into the same thing on my X3. (Check my thread called parts sources - a bunch of our peers have been weighing in with sources for parts and great information.)
    Unfortunately, this one was my fault, trying to get too fancy running a cable for my Garmin.
    The price of mine is a little over $300, but I think I can do better than that maybe at other sources, or maybe even with the BMWCCA discount at the dealer. This would be the entire panel on mine around the shifter and up to the start of the dashboard.

We're having some fun now, huh kids?? :)

drummerfc

Yeah...some fun, eh???

;)

I'll let you know how much "fun" we're having when I get the bill for this one...

M3Driver guest

Another Todd Rundgren fan.......outstanding.... :D

Have you tried the salvage yard check? Those guys are all interconnected now and you might be able to find a complete set from a wreck somewhere and save you some money.

cheers...

drummerfc

Absolutely (even though it exposes my age)! ;)

I thought about doing that. Thought maybe I'd try this resource out first. Thanks for the info!

Autohaus guest

As said above, a junk/salvage yard would be best to obtain your piece. I have a hair-line crack on the wood piece just above the glove box but I'm not going to bother with it (E39).

svartorn

My wood grain is cracked in 2 places but I think I'm just going to get brushed aluminum trim. Not really a fan of wood to begin with...