Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Racing Seats

Discussion in 'E46 M3 (2001-2006)' started by mdheller, Feb 18, 2009.

mdheller guest

Wanted to ask the forum for some advice with respect to racing seats. I just got a cage put in my car and I am thinking about doing some seats and harnesses. I wanted to inquire about the best racing seats. How comfortable are they? Would you want to sit in them for 30hrs straight?

Also, would you recommend keeping the stock seats or trying to sell them? I don't imagine I would have much of a use for them after I get the racing seats, but I'm not sure and wanted to ask what others have done with their old seats. I figured I'd just keep them around; but honestly, has anyone ever taken their racing seats back out in favor of their original bmw seats?

MGarrison

I don't have a particular suggestion for what's best, although up to a point, I think you tend to get what you pay for. May be more a matter of what's best for you, as there are obviously a variety of racing seat options. If you have any way of checking out & sitting in seats you're considering, you'll find that's a much better way to determine if a seat's comfortable or not.

If you can get to a driver's school and cruise the paddock you'd probably find a number of people w/ seats that they'd let you sit in and check out.

A few brands that come to mind - Koenig, Corbeau, Sparco, Recaro; undoubtedly some googling will reveal many others.

mpauly guest

Cage

Mike,
    I would love to see pictures of the cage in your car. I looked at a sample from Fall Line Motor Sports. It required the back seat to be removed and replace with carbon fiber panels. Looked cool but $6K+ installed.

mdheller guest

Yeah the cost is about right, but by the time it's all said and done it costs a bit more than 6. I think I paid 8 total, but i also had them take those retarded scissor doors off the car and hollow them out. By removing the side airbag and some other sh*t plus changing the hinges i saved about 40 lbs/door. I figure that should help offset some of the cage.

I also ended up going with a set of recaros because another client of his was getting rid of his seats that he bought the month before for 1500 a piece, I ended up paying 1400 for both so i figure i got a deal and got a sweet set of recaros in the process.

I actually had the choice of keeping the rear seat in or out with the cage i did, but at that point I figured Id never let anyone sit back there and I may as well just take it out (that and i always swore I would get a cage and rip out the back seat and didn't want to be a liar).

I'll post some pics soon. I get it back on april 11. really looking forward to it.
    I'll be with my chapter at the Jefferson circuit at summit point on the 25 and 26, if you can make it im sure we could have some fun : )

TeamStowell We love driving!

+1 on getting to a driving event and checking out what is available. We are replacing the seats in our 83 Euro, and we sat in a lot of other peoples vintage cars looking for what would work for us.

As far as what to do with the seats, you may want to keep them if you have the space and don't need the cash. Someday you may sell the car and the choice of what to ride in may prove beneficial.

Matatu guest

I prefer the Stock seats. They are much more comfortable in my opinion.