Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Considering purchase of X3

Discussion in 'E83 X3 (2004-2010)' started by kevinheap, Feb 16, 2009.

kevinheap

We just put struts and $600 worth of tires on the wifes 525it but now she wants an X3. We do not have alot of money but I think we could swing $18,000 to $22,000 with financing.

Any information about this series of vehicle with regards to problems would be appreciated. Someone may say the 2005s are vastly improved over the 2004s or something of that nature.

I am interested in the extended maintenance that comes with the CPO cars and any experiences of note in that arena would likewise we welcomed.

Thank you for your feedback.

tonys

I've got an '04 with 85,000 miles on it and love it.

It's been pretty reliable except for one minor gremlin deep within the electronics ( i am guessing) that no one has been able to solve. It causes the check engine light to come on every once in awhile and throws a code for a random O2 sensor. But doesn't cause a driveability issue. 02s are fine.

I think after all the initial press criticism of how rough riding they were, they softened the suspension in '05 and later. Mine's got the sport suspension and 18" wheels and I love it. I think a big factor is tires. When I went from the OEM Pirellis to the BF Goodrich's the ride quality improved dramatically. Its definately stiffly sprung, but the pounding from small road imperfections went away with the tires.

CPO isn't really model specific, but generally BMW's CPO program is considered the best in the business. The question here is whether its worth the extra cost to you and no one can answer that for you. I feel it costs $2,000 -$4,000 more for a CPO vehicle. The lower number when comparing similar vehicles on a BMW lot. The higher if you compare similar vehicles with the non CPO on an independent lot.

kevinheap

Thanks Tony, I just test drove one today in Denver and it is a nice car. I hear they have 8 airbags. I have to sell a 328ti and a 525it before we make a move. I think the .9 financing may be extended but that is hard to say.

The guy that looked at my car today said in this market you should be able to talk a used car salesman down $2,500. I take off the gloves and start boxing with these salemen.

Looking at a 2005 White X3 in Oregon for $21,000 w/ 50K miles and another in Texas w/ 30K for $23,500.

tonys

Mine is white with the Terra Cotta interior. I like white on these because to me it balances the car better. I think the darker colors look a little back heavy.

Since you live in Denver keep in mind that e36 and e46 wheels fit fine. I run 17" M3 doublespoke IIs with my winter tires. (Because they were cheap on Craig's list, not because I thought it needed M3 wheels). This really opens up your options for winter wheels. Then go with 215/60/17 Winter tires. The 235s are too wide for ice and snow. The 215 size is the standard size on Euro X3s and works great.

My only mistake was getting the auto rather than the 6 - speed. I let my wife talk me into it since this was to be the family car, but I am the only real driver.