Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Doing a wheel Change

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by bgillespie, Feb 11, 2009.

bgillespie

I think I have finally reached the height of incompetence. I have a 2006 330i and went to change the wheel. I couldn't get the wheel off after removing the lug bolts. Is there some trick or special tool required?

MGarrison

I wouldn't suspect so - my guess is the wheel's simply stuck to your hub, due to a combination of oxidation and/or corrosion between your alloy wheels and the steel hubs. The question is how much force will it take to break it free. If you have an extreme problem, the amount of force might potentially be wheel bending. The other aspect is you don't want to be swinging large masses at your wheels if your car is only supported by the vehicle's jack, and on a secure, level, solid surface.

In other words, if you aren't up on a jack stand with wheels chocked and parking brake on, on a level surface, it's probably not advisable to start trying to bang your wheel off. You could try a 4 or 5 lb dead-blow hammer, perhaps a really large rubber mallet (rubber might not transmit the force needed if it's really stuck), or a 2-3lb small sledge, or a substantial hammer. Regardless, protect the rim with a block of wood (or something suitable to protect the rim from damage), and if a couple hits don't free it, try hitting the edge of the rim in some different spots.

It's possible it could be so stuck that you can't remove it yourself.

One post mentions possibility of wheel bearing damage, something to keep in mind! Pound on things too much and you could damage the rim, maybe the wheel bearings, and probably a few other things.

here's a couple things I found, take them fwiw -

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automan/wheels.html

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=39003&PN=1

There's the term I was looking for - 'galvanic reaction between dissimilar metals...'

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tires-and-wheels/60080-oem-alloy-wheels-sticking-to-hub/

http://www.procarcare.com/icarumba/...a/icar_resourcecenter_encyclopedia_wheels.asp

Personally, I'd try to knock the wheel off the hub first, but if it doesn't separate with some degree of nominal-force hits, then I might try the routine of leaving lug bolts slightly loose and placing the weight of the car on the tire. I've never had to resort to that though, and am a bit wary of the idea of having to move the car to break them free with the lug bolts loose.

Never-siezing the hub surfaces should help, and if you're in a road-salt-use area, it might be a good idea to pop off the wheels at least once a year just to keep the wheels from siezing to the hubs, if not to rotate the tires around.

The board's mechanic pros may have some better informed/advised suggestions....

good luck!

CRKrieger

Been there, done that. Lots of times. If merely dropping the car onto the wheels (lug bolts about ½ turn loose from finger tight) doesn't do the trick, then you need to drive the car. Seriously. A short slow turn down the driveway and back and you'll usually hear the wheel making noises from being loose. In extreme cases, I have even done a 'tire warming weave' to put a little more stress on that frozen joint. You will not need to go any faster than first gear will take you and you will not need to go more than a couple hundred feet, at most. Trust me; this beats the hell out of beating the hell out of it. ;)

granthr

+1 Once you get the wheels off, be sure to put some grease or anit seize on the hub. This will help prevent this happening again in the future.

bgillespie

Thanks to all. Loosing them and going a few feet down the driveway did the trick. Now I can enjoy my new wheels and tires.

granthr

Glad to hear you got them off! :D Enjoy your new wheels and post some pics.