Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Is this car worth fixing??

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by cj morgan, Feb 10, 2009.

cj morgan guest

• Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

To be honest with you, I can't tell much from this picture show. The pics are too low res. Most of it looks superficial, but it is the small hidden damage that makes the difference.

az3579

Is this what happened to your car? I remember you were saying something about something warping, or there being some kind of major damage to the vehicle's integrity?

If so, then I'd say no. Get another E30.

Some of the pictures I saw there looked like bits and pieces were warped a bit, making it look like it was dented all over. But, if it really is that simple and it's just various body panels damaged a bit (no structural damage) then I'd say go for it!

cj morgan guest

The radiator was pushed into the fan a little bit and the front end was swayed to the left, but i took it to a frame shop which seemingly moved everything back into place. I would really like it to just have the obvious damage and no hidden surprises but i just dont know! The car looks more than revivable to me..but I'm not an expert

Elkoholic

It really does look totally cosmetic (the majority of it)...I say keep her...but I'm no expert...not by any means...unless I can actually do a structural analysis and reacreate the crunch-job with my magical dynamics-based mechanical engineering powers!!!

cj morgan guest

I just look at old pics of the car and it makes me wanna cry...

az3579

Yeah, it's things like this that prevent me from forming an emotional attachment to the car. I put a lot into it and would be sad if something happened, but I would not hesitate to move on and buy another car and give it the same amount of blood sweat and tears as I did my old one.

missmelyssa guest

Botond, I'm sure you're emotionally attached to your car in some way. You give it lots of attention, the emotional attachment just comes with the territory. I haven't done anything to my car yet and I'm so attached already.

az3579

I'm attached, but only up to a point. I've drawn the line because I acknowledge that anything can happen to my car at any given point. Hell, just tonight on the way home I almost got into an accident because of some idiot who wanted to pull out into my lane (waiting behind someone wanting to turn left) without signaling, and I was pulling out from behind him. I think the sudden turn of the wheel to the right a bit that I did instinctively prevented there from being any damage, but next time I may not be so lucky.

Yes, I do love my car and would hate it if someone hurt it any way, but I can't keep the car forever. I am prepared to take on another Bimmer without hesitation if something was to happen to this one, and I would give the new one all the attention I gave my last one. Yes, as long as it runs and is undamaged, I will pour money into it, but the second I get into a moderate to major accident and the car gets totalled, I am moving on (after parting out what I can, of course). Next step, M3, perhaps? Maybe, but until this one either dies, gets stolen, or severely damaged, I will continue to love my Red Devil.

cj morgan guest

Ok, so I've decided to go ahead with fixing the car. Now I'm debating whether or not to put it back on the road now or in the spring. The car is completely driveable. I'm just so tired of driving a chevy metro around all the time when there is a bimmer in my driveway(not in the garage, just sitting in the driveway..my garage is too full) Im not concerned about getting into another incident(knock on wood) because i wont drive like that in the winter anymore. I'm just worried about the salty roads here in upstate NY. I also find very hard to work on a car that im not driving because i cant take it to a shop to get an estimate. I guess im just impatient...should i drive it now or wait. If i do drive it now, is there anything else i should to to prevent rust besides washing it? I just feel like shes just wasting away in the driveway if i dont drive it.

granthr

The accident probably caused the paint to split and peel in locations where there is a NEW fold in the metal (in other words, a fold that should not be there). So these spots are going to start to rust if there is bare metal whether you drive it or not if it is at all damp. Now driving it in salt will just speed up the process. So I you are going to put this off for a long time I would suggest washing the car thoroughly. Then give it a detailed inspection during the day. Look for any exposed metal and paint it. A couple coats of primer is all it will take to protect it. Scuff it up with a green 3M scotch bright pad so the paint will stick. Then you should be okay. The only problem would be if there is bare metal in places you can't see. But if you are getting the car repaired this spring you should be fine. Because hopefully those spots will be found during the repair process.