Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Incomplete Phonebook

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by kt1709, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

kt1709 guest

I have an E46 2004 M3 paired with a RIM Blackberry 8830. All functions work fine except for the phonebook. After the inital pairing, the full phonebook was displayed, and this lasted for about six months. Now, I only see two entires in the phonebook. I have tried re-pairing, but I cannot seem to get all of my phonebook addresses displayed.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I do not have a NAV system. The phonebook displays through the radio LED.

Any suggestions?

espcane

I seem to recall an issue with using contact groups in the blackberry. If you use one I think the issue is that the phonebook won't transfer past the first contact group in the list.

There is also a way to set the transfer to only "hotlist" which is your recently used. Do you only talk to 2 people? ;)

bl335i08 guest

If you have the entries saved in your SIM card, they may not transfer to your car. Try copying all your contacts to phone memory. Hope this helps.

kt1709 guest

Hmmmmm. There are contact groups (distribution lists) in the primary source, my email account. That is, I enter a contact in my email account, which sends it to my BB, which then uploads it to my car. A nice single-point of entry feature - if it works. Strange that it would work sometimes and sometimes not.

The most recent list won't work for me, since I use the BB for business and need to see all the contacts. However, if I were to limit the list to "friends only", maybe there would only be two entries....

Thanks for the tip. I'll try to move my DL's to other places and see what happens.

kt1709 guest

Well, I think I found the problem. It wasn't distribution lists or anything else concerning the type of information in the BB's address book: it is concerning security.

The BB "locks" after 15 minutes of idle time and requires a password to "unlock". When the BB is "locked" and I start the car, the phone connects but the address book does not synchronize. Conversely, when the BB is "unlocked" and I start the car, the address book synchronizes just fine.

I don't think this is the way it is supposed to act, but I think this is more of a BB issue than a BMW issue. At least I now know the rules.

Thanks to those who replied.

bl335i08 guest

Glad you worked it out. Nice car!

kt1709 guest

Epilogue: I confirmed this issue with RIM (manufacturer of the BlackBerry), but there is a bypass that will transmit the address book and still maintain your security integrity:

• Unlock the device.
    • Find OPTIONS on the main screen (may be TOOLS on some models)
    • Scroll down and select SECURITY OPTIONS
    • Select GENERAL SETTINGS
    • Under CONTENT PROTECTION set the option for INCLUDE ADDRESS BOOK to NO.
    • Exit the screen and SAVE the changes.

:)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.