Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

back on the road

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by jmalter, Mar 19, 2008.

jmalter guest

This evening i took the '85 e3 out on the road for the 1st time in 4-1/2 years!

But it was only a 6-mile drive over to Dan's shop, where the new tires'll be mounted (I went w/ Eagle F1 GS/D3s), entire fluids/filters change, some brake-duct / exhaust repairs, & mebbe even get those verdammt back-up lights to work again. The battery & wiper blades are coked, but hopefully he won't be doing anything major.

I'd started the thing up about once every 9 months during its down-time, it always fired up right away. Today, it started on the 2nd key-turn, w/ some minimal smoke, and was running fairly well after the 3rd mile - I think 2 of the injectors took that long to get awake.

I'm really up for the next 8-9 months of blatting around in this car - a real dream-machine in the curves - but perhaps we're both getting a bit "too elderly" now for any more track events!

jmalter guest

k, got the black car back this evening, now he'll be my daily drive until the snow starts to fall! Ughfortunately, 2 of my Alpina 7x16 street-wheels had to be shipped out for some major re-rounding, so until they're back, i'm wearing the 7x15 MSW baskets w/ wonderfully aged Yokie A008R track-tires, let's all hope it don't rain too much before I can get back onto some more reasonable rubber.

The high-points of the action that took place in Dan's shop:
    - replace engine oil & filter, replace transmission oil, clean K&N air filter
    - replace battery (no longer rechargeable)
    - replace Supertrapp muffler (core rusted out)
    - clean fuel-injectors
    - replace f&r sway-bar bushings (the M5 end-links were ok, but the mount bushings had disintegrated)
    - replace brake fluid & brake pads (the Ferodo pads were ok for thickness, but started to fragment during road-test) (heh, must've been a fair serious road-test!)
    - repair front brake cooling duct-work (that i've got these flex-hoses running from behind the air-dam inlets onto the front rotors, pieces of which were either missing or shredded)
    - new wiper blades
    - adjust seat-belt spring retract tension ('cos I was tired of slammin' my door shut over top of a danglin' shoulder-belt!)
    - repair back-up lights (that my trick aftermarket 50w halogen bulbs had melted the wires all the way back to the transmission)
    - complete int/ext detail (which totally transformed him from a rusty-dusty-moldy aged hanger-queen into the proud shiny master-blaster of today, please ignore those few dings in the sheet-metal, that i will totally need to photograph him this weekend & figger out how to post a pic here! )

Won't prob'ly get my repaired street-wheels (the full set of lovely Alpina E30 7x16s w/ new Goodyear Eagle shoes) until this time next week, meanwhile I can blat around on these elderly track-tires and play w/ how many baffles i want to wear on my trapp. Jeebus, this car is so sweet to drive - but if we have a rainy week-end in western PA, i'll be the black bimmer that's holding you up, doin' 10mph *under* the speed-limit!

mjweimer

Sounds like a very interesting car with some nice modifications.

Interested in seeing pictures of the beast when you get them.

Matt

jmalter guest

k, Matt - i've got my camera in my tote, all's i need now is a sunny day & a photogenic location!

Lately, i've got the radio/cassette player to actually produce sound, mebbe over the next coupla' days i'll get the trip/comp readout set up, too - that'll be dicey, since the '10's button isn't working.

Car is running well, but w/ a bit of occaisional stutter or lack of torque - i'm told to run this full tank of gas + injector-cleaner before worrying about it. I hope to get my street-wheels (& new tires) fitted on sometime this week.

Vicksburg guest

Mines a black 88

Restoring a Black 88 325i convertable. Saw it for sale in front of a Junk yard. Runs sweet. Has a new top. Working on restoring breaks and suspension. new calipers and pads. New OE springs, control arms / bushings, tie rod ends, shocks, etc. Want to get back to factory height. It was so low to the ground the exhaust pipe below the engine was only a few inches off the road. Was only going to replace back springs (the were both broke in half). After they were replaced, it looked jacked up in the back. Then I knew I would have to do the front as well. Hope to get it back later this week......! When you figure out how to post a photo, let me know. Look forward to seeing your 85...

jmalter guest

here's a photo of the black car - still wearing the MSW 7x15s w/ 205/50-15 Yokohama A008Rs. The wing mirrors are from Schnitzer, the air dam is BBS. I'm also sufferin' from 'can't get the center front-bumper rub-strip' syndrome, anyone know of a cure?

Called Dan this afternoon, they've got my repaired Alpina wheels now, so I can be properly re-shod on Monday! I'll post a new photo after the swap, 'cos those wheels are truly teh sweet.

Now, I've gotta' convince Dan that I want 5psi overpressure in front, otherwise the car don't balance right on a stiff turn-in or drop-throttle exit. Seems that ever'time I get him back from service, the tire-pressures are equal all round, say, 28psi, despite I wrote down "37psi front / 32 psi rear" on my clipboard when I handed it in. It rilly gets up my nose that they don't give me my car back w/ my preferred tire-pressures, 'cos the thing don't handle properly w/ 'equal all around' tire-pressures. </moan>

Attached Files:

jmalter guest

heh, now I'm back w/ the road wheels & new tires, the re-conditioned wheels look 'better than new', and my 1st take on the Eagle F1s is that they're a lot quieter than I expected from a high-performance tire, w/ no 'road-buzz'. New photos!

Those are Alpina 7x16 wheels, w/ 205/45-16 tires. The suspension is kinda' hybridized over many years' trial-&-error, the current ride-height is determined by Racing Dynamics front springs & Alpina rear springs. The car has 88,300 miles on the clock - but >5,000 of those are track-miles!

The side-photo shows the car is well-balanced visually - but it needs +5psi in the front tires for dynamic balance. The front air-dam is from BBS, the side/rear skirts & wing are Racing Dynamics. I've always thought the rear wing is too ostentatious, & would prefer a rear-lip spoiler instead.

He is running strong & handling true, despite the long period in storage. Actually, he's prob'ly handlin' a bit better after those fragged anti-roll bar mounts were replaced! I've yet to hit 200 miles since we've been back on the road. The motor seems happy, w/ no more than the usual response-dip at ~1750 rpm, tho' it does seem to take mebbe 1/2-second longer to fire up when I turn the key. The water & oil-temp gauges both read ~half a tick lower than usual, not that I'm complaining! Dan tells me that its useless to do any meaningful engine tune-up analysis, though, until after I've run through a full tank of gas+injector-cleaner. I think it'd be worthwhile to get a cylinder-compression test, to see if anything is out-of-sorts.

Attached Files:

tflavin

Jeff, Car looks good as ever. I hope you've held up as well! See you at Alleg.Chptr.Mtg. tomorrow. Love, Rudi

jmalter guest

Hi Rudi, tonight i've been perusing the alleghenybmwcca.org site, catching up a bit w/ the posted newsletters to check out what i've missed out on, while the years flew by.

All things considered, I hope I've held up pert' well - I'm looking forward to seeing yourself again tomorrow, & any others from the old crew.

A-and I'm looking to tell briggs that, "yes, I've driven a Ford - poorly!"

best!
    jM

jmalter guest

here's a bad foto of the rear, where you can see:
    - Racing Dynamics rear wing & lower apron, w/ 2-1/4" Supertrapp exhaust,
    - rear-deck shoulder-strap fittings for the 6-point Sabelts,
    - Hartge instrument-cluster hump under the rear-view mirror,
    - tiny Schnitzer wing-mirror on the right A-pillar, &
    - the 'PZKW-3E' license-plate number, that refers to the WWII German tank that used a Porsche-designed torsion-bar suspension, but still lacked the motor, armor & gun that would've made it a serious M-contender.

Attached Files:

Sean

How did you adjust the spring tension for the seat belt? I didn't know that was possible!

jmalter guest

Hi Sean, eckshully I'd asked Dan the mechanic to replace the front seat-belts, 'cos they wouldn't spring-retract & would hang outside the door when I closed it. I don't know if he was able to re-tension them, likely he cleaned & re-lubed the lower take-up reels & shoulder-height points on the B-pillars. They work great now, & don't flop around loose.