Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Got laid off

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Autohaus, Jan 31, 2009.

Autohaus guest

I am now part of the statistics :eek:. I wasn't the only one. When they told me they had to cut me loose, they mentioned that the whole accounting dept was gonna get the ax. They offered me a severance package that I will accept. I will be paid through the month of February and then I can collect NYS unemployment. Couldn't really sleep last night. I am tired :(. With the economy about to get worse and go into a depression, I can only pray. So now I ask this question:

Can I has job in the tri-state area :confused:

az3579

No. I wouldn't hire you if you paid me a million dollars. :)

(Before y'all flame me, I'm typing this while sitting in his kitchen. :p)
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Sorry to hear that. Accounting only, or can you do other stuff? I'll keep my ears peeled.

Brian A

We all go through, and get through, tough times. It always seems like it is going to be worse than it turns out to be. You will survive and we will survive: we are lucky we live in the Nation we do. Best wishes.

MGarrison

Sorry for the bad news Chris; best of luck w/ the job search -

I hear Botond is looking for a full time personal shade-tree mechanic; I think he pays about $100/mo., and, oh ya, you have to have your own shop, tools, and a lift. But the upside is, he never forces you to work more than 12-15 hours a day!

mooseheadm5

ROTFLMFAO!

M3Driver guest

Sorry to hear about that brother.....Keep your chin up, something will come up. From one that has been there, when one door closes another one (always better) opens up.. :)

BIMMIR guest

Sorry to hear about this!
    You're an accountant? Any chance you can score some free lance tax work with tax season coming?
    This could help get your through?

az3579

Nah, he declined that offer, even when I offered him $150/mo. I guess he's just "too good" for me. :rolleyes:

The good thing is he hasn't fallen into a depression as a result. Too many people are overreacting to losing their jobs, such as the guy in California who killed his entire family and then himself because he lost his job. Some stupidity, but I'm glad that my personal shadetree mechanic is still sane. :)

Right Mr. It-took-me-about-two-hours-to-replace-my-final-stage-resistor? :rolleyes:

(This coming from Mr. It-took-me-3-hours-to-replace-my-throttle-cable-because-it-was-being-a-biotch)

mooseheadm5

You want it done fast, or you want it done right?

TeamStowell We love driving!

Sorry to hear about that Chris. GE Power Systems was hiring up here in Schenectady a couple of months ago, so check out their web site. Also, the census is starting to hire folks to get them through the next few years. It might be something to hold you over for a couple. Otherwise, we will keep our ears open.

az3579

Err, he ended up not completing it. His mechanic did it for him. :D

Autohaus guest

Thanks for all your support guys. Just when I picked up my E39 this morning from my mechanic, she started to lose power and rumble. The problem went away but I took the car back. Thanks to Botond I got a ride (only 2 blocks away from my house). My mechanic hooked up the car to his computer and the CPS sensor came up (this problem happened to him on Friday). I had that part replaced from Bavauto so I will call them up on Monday since they have a 2yr gaurantee on parts. Things happen and I need that car running in tip top shape for interviews! My resume has always been polished because you just never know what can happen. My wife Carol started applying for me while I was helping out my mechanic this morning, so its good that she has my full support. When I look at my family (whether in person or pictures) it just makes me want to go out and do whatever it takes to find employment. I have my plan set out to apply to as many jobs as possible. Obama might make things better for us unemployed citizens (maybe extending benefits beyond the 39 weeks) but I don't want to live off of the system. I can't be home too long or else I'll go crazy! My skills are basically office skills, A/R, A/R, billing, payroll, month end closing, balance sheets and I am pretty good with tax for dummies (TurboTax). I have a 4yr degree in Finance and I'm open to work anywhere such as CT, NYC, NJ, etc... My mechanic skills are flat. It took me so long to try to pry out the final stage resistor this morning out of the E39. Botond couldn't even do it as well. My mechanic had to bail me out as he changed the part for me. I did manage to put everything back so I should earn some brownie points :). He cut me a huge deal on the work he did to the E39 (coolant parts and alternator) as he knew my situation. I was supposed to have a party today to celebrate our bigger house but had to cancel because of the bad news. However, family showed up to cheer me up so I better get downstairs. Again, thanks for all the support guys. Botond, thanks for helping me clean up over at the old house. Great, Timber is barking so I gotta go get her in the house!

az3579

I forgot to say this before, but if you ever need anything, just holler. Remember, 70 miles is child's play for me so I'm glad to travel the distance to help out!

kkratoch

I too was notified by my employer to start looking for another job. :(
    I will be off the payroll Feb, 20th. They (Verizon) have been very helpful in assisting me with getting a new position. I have applied for the only technical opening within the company in the PGH area. If I can't find anything in the company I do have a severance pkg to take, which is nice. They have also provided me with a career coach to help me with writing up a resume to apply for other positions outside the company. So that's what I am working on this weekend.

P.S. - I work for IT doing desktop support
    Oh, and of course I will be taking a break to watch the Superbowl. GO STEELERS!

Autohaus guest

At least Verizon is trying to help you out. Two whole months of lies from my job, "Don't worry about your position, you are safe. 2008 was a very challenging year and we look forward to 2009 as being together and facing the challengers with no layoffs". Yeah right! I bet your severance package is nice, depending on how long you have been with Verizon. Good luck! Lets make a fun bet that either one of us will find employment faster than the other one :)

az3579

You too??? Oh no, I'm starting to get worried that my contract won't get renewed in March... :eek:

Autohaus guest

I hear that a company by the name of Skynet is hiring.

Devilsown guest

SKYNET? isnt that the company that makes the machines that will take over the earth?

As for a job try to see if the city is hiring those jobs are mostly secure. As of now Im in the Air Force and might be forced to stay in due to the economy but if it comes down to it I just go back home and be a cop.

Autohaus guest

Yes, for a pretty dollar I will work for Skynet and help build machines that will eventually take over the world. Or so they will think. Just before they are about to launch Skynet, I will pull the plug at the last minute :). Seriously, stay in the Air Force. I slept much better last night but still had dreams about being unemployed :(. I am also as sick as a dog. I got up early this morning around 6am and got on the laptop looking for jobs. My wife is teasing me that she is in control :eek: