Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

service warranty

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by TSMITH, Jan 30, 2009.

TSMITH guest

Have a 08 535I Dealer wants 1,695.00 for an extended service warrant to extend to 100K

Is it worth it? Dealer states that brake pad replacement is more than the cost???

GELSO

Extended warranties include a time limit, six years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. You need to decide if you will accumlate that kind of mileage in six years.

I declined the extended warranty on my 2008 328XI since it is one of two cars I drive. In six years I would probably only accumulate 50-60,000 miles on the 328 .

Close to $1695 sounds a little expensive for a set of pads, but this is my first Bimmer.

There was a similar question in a recent issue of Roundel. You might want to check Mike Miller's response.
    Gelso

kevs330Ci

depends on how much you drive......

if you're gonna put 12k plus miles on your car per year its worth it...you will get your money's worth...less than that, i doubt it..... the plan (MP--maintenance plan) will cover front/rear brake pad/rotor replacement, any scheduled service that comes due on the CBS(conditioned based service), wiper blades, and belts.....pretty good coverage.....i would recommend changing the oil more frequently than what the CBS menu tells you, not a firm believer of the approx 14k-18k oil changes, no matter how much you baby it.......if you are the original owner then i would also recommend considering the ESC(extended service contract) for repair items, ie: broken window regulators, leaking/stuck thermostat, seat occupant mats(if not under recall), etc.....
    as for the price of a brake job, i hope that price included both front and rear, pads and rotors.....if not, get the hell outta there.....prices will vary between dealerships, BMW corporate doesn't control what they can charge you for services rendered....
    hope this helps you in your decision......

NASADeac

kevs330,

What is the difference between the "extended service contract - ESC" you referred to and the extendend maintenance contract originally referenced in this thread? Just how many different mechanisms does BMW have at its disposal to take advantage of the consumer?

I'm new at this - I bought a new 2008 328i in October. Thus far, I have not endured any service expenses. However, the prices I have paid for accessories, their installation, and apparrel, tells me that I may have made a mistake with BMW.

kevs330Ci

MP--maintenace plan covers regulary scheduled maintenance( CBS data items, brake pads/rotors, wiper blades, and belts)....the ESC--extended service contract covers repairs items(leaking water pumps, alternators, failed window regulators, things that brake and not related to wear and tear items)...hope that clears it up for ya.........

ps----CBS data refers to items like, oil changes, microfilters, brake flushes, intake air silencers(BMW term for engine air filter), front and rear brakes pads/rotors, vehicle inspection(another BMW term, overpriced look at the car))

NASADeac

Many thanks kevs330! Now I have an idea about what I ought to buy. Again thanks!!