Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E86///M - Passenger-side motor mount bracket failing

Discussion in 'E85/E86 Z4 M roadster/coupe (2006-2008)' started by jragan, Jan 28, 2009.

jragan guest

On the other forums, it's becoming a fairly common occurrence (especially considering the low volume production of E86///Ms) that the passenger-side motor mount bracket fails.

Specifically, it appears the factory 8.8-rated M8x35 bolts that attach the engine mount bracket to the frame back themselves out over time so that eventually the remaining bolt(s) shear off and leave the engine listing to the passenger side. The speculation is that the bolts are improperly torqued from the factory (an idea ironically underscored by the fact that Discovery Channel's "Ultimate Factories" episode about the Z4 factory shows a supervisor finding a problem on-camera with the very bolts in question).

I've been aware of the issue, and even had my dealership check the bolts 4 months ago, but just this weekend, my motor mount bracket failed. So I'm thinking that the dealership only checked the visible bolts they could easily get to with the hood open...i.e the engine mount bolts to the engine, and not the engine mount bracket bolts to the frame (they would have had to pull the wheels to get to the "right" bolts).

The only reason I bring any of this up, is I haven't seen it mentioned in this forum... So here it is! Anyone experience the same issue?
    1 people like this.

330indy1

wow that's weird. is there a production run associated?

jragan guest

330indy1

can our CCA staff add insight to this?

330indy1

bump
    is there an associated production run?

jragan guest

Did you look at the TSB?

From the TSB:
    In reality it seems to apply more to coupes than roadsters, most likely do to the extreme tortional rigidity numbers of the coupe.

CRKrieger

Well, then I'd stay away from those forums! Obviously, that's the cause of the failure ... :D

330indy1

any insight.... anyone??? We really could use the input of an experienced tech or someone on the inside. It could help alleviate some anxiety.
    :confused:

epbrown01

What are you anxious about? You can go to the dealer and have it checked referencing the tech bulletin, or even take a look for yourself. You've been dithering about this since March...

330indy1

for z4 M owners

Ahem, I never am eager to have the dealer take the M apart in exploratory surgery (who is?), but as I just took it in for a warranty TWS10-60 oil change, I did mention the service bulletin.
    It kind of just crossed my mind, like no big deal. Man am I glad I did...

my production date was 6-1-06.
    with 735 miles on it, the bolts were found to be loose, not broken thank goodness. All four bolts were replaced under warranty.
    I have a Roadster... I would advise every z4M roadster or coupe owner to have the dealer check it out. you don't want to find out the hard way...

epbrown01

Never eager? It took you a year! ;) Glad it worked out for you...

330indy1

so here's a question for ya
    ...after having it addressed per the bulletin, has anyone seen the fix loosen up after some time?

epbrown01

I've had it checked twice since the fix was done; no problems since.

ecohen2 guest

Ok, I have a question.... I asked my dealer about performing this work and he said "NO!" No explanation on why they wouldn't, just that they won't. My Z4 M Coupe does fall into the production range that has the issue, which makes me somewhat concerned.

Do I just have to wait until it fails?

Thanks,
    Ed

jmillet

Find another dealer since your current one doesn't have a brain.
    If your Bimmer is covered under warranty the dealer gets reimbursed by BMW NA for work associated with SIB directives.
    I replaced all my motor mount bracket bolts with the 10.8 bolts secured with Nord-Lock washers. I now sleep well at night in the knowledge my S54 engine won't fall out ;)

Satch SoSoCalifortified

I'm thinking of drilling mine for safety wire, since I have all this stainless wire and these nifty safety-wire pliers. . . how reachable are these puppies?

330indy1

I don't think they"re very easy to get to. I believe my tech had to loosen up a few things to reach the bracket.
    Hey Satch, great to meet you at O'Fest!!
    ;)

Satch SoSoCalifortified

My pleasure! Now, who is this really?!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Hmmm. I could not discern an authentic BMW TSB from the forum posts, but this is certainly a project in my future! Thanks for the Nord-Lock tip, Jim!

330indy1

[IMG]