Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

1995 M3 top speed/stage 1 kits

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1995-1999)' started by Scott Mc, Jan 25, 2009.

Scott Mc guest

I am looking to purchase one of the stage 1 kits for my M3( euro mass air, cold air intake, chip). I know the M3 is limited to 137. I am curious as to what the stock top end was with the limiter deactivated. I am guessing 145 to 150. Are there any test of these kits in terms of performance gain. They claim 28 to 30 hp gain. I have heard I will get approx. 1 mpg increase. I am guessing 0-60 will be minimal, I would expect a few tenths on the 1/4 mile. If anyone has installed one of these I would like to here your input.

Also just installed a new pioneer premier head unit(ipod controlled from head unit) and kenwood 12 inch powered sub in trunk. The stock speakers are still in place. Its amazing how a little base makes the stock speakers sound great. Plus the powered sub is small and easily removable.

Thanks in advance.

Scott Mc

Mekihead guest

Hi! I'm going on a few assumptions here, so bear with me. I'm assuming it's a manual with a stock diff and stock wheel size. With the chip, you should be able to, mechanically speaking, hit about 165. This problem is your car's gonna run out of steam and be aerodynamicly restricted to about 150-155. Personally, I've chickened out at 145. Keep in mind that whatever you do at 100+mph, you're asking for trouble. Even the smallest road undulation can act like a dukes of hazard style jump at 130+. You won't even notice the bump at 60 mph, it'll just feel like a normal road. But those bumps will get you very loose or airborne at high speeds.

Mekihead guest

Sorry, Can't edit my posts apparently.

Between the 3, you'll notice a bit difference. Very Growly! Having an aftermarket exhaust helps, too. I think you'll love the noise. My gas mileage is actually worse, because I give it the beans more often to hear it roar.

Scott Mc guest

Thanks for the info. I am not planning on exploring the top speed limits just curious what the unlimited top end was. I am curious as to the low end 0-60 and mid range power gains. If anyone out there has utilized one of these kits I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks SDM

Bimmerdan

I think that about sums it up. I have the Dinan chip, a cold air intake and cat-back exhaust on my '95 and I love it. Like Mekihead said, gas mileage will suffer though because you WILL want to hear the sound every chance you get!

As for actual performance, I noticed the biggest difference above 3000 - 3500 RPM. Below that I didn't really notice too much but once the engine spools up, you can defintely feel a difference. On the top speed part, I think 150 - 155 is about the absolute max for these cars.

bmwmfan guest

My stock '99 redlined in 5th at 145ish on the speedo so I always assumed the electronic limiter was actually the redline limiter kicking in, not a true speed limiter...

az3579

Are you sure that wasn't because of your diff? Perhaps it was a higher ratio...
    I've seen some chipped M3's in YouTube videos (chipped as in have the top speed limiter removed, but otherwise stock) reach about 270km/h on the Autobahn. I know they have more power as well, but is the gearing different? Diff?

Mekihead guest

That's a whole different car. They've got at least 50+hp on ours and a 6 speed gear box. Diff ratio is also 3.23.

bmwmfan guest

My diff is stock, so who knows? The stock car also redlines at 6500 so that would also limit top speed. Anyone know the final drive ratio on the stock 96-99 M3's?

az3579

I knew about the extra power but forgot about the extra gear. Oops...

Mekihead guest

Manuals got 3.23 diffs, while autos got 3.38 diffs.

Using fancy maths and assuming you're running 235/45/17 tires, a stock diff and a limiter at 6500, mechanically speaking, manuals would top out at 151mph and autos would give it a rest at 134mph.