Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Suggested Mods

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by dest149, Jan 21, 2009.

dest149 guest

hey guys, i am going to purchase my first bmw and im going for the 335i. I have been researching around and i really think this is the best car for me short of the m series which is out of budget for now. What mods would you guys recommend as a must have to any bmw 335 that 100% DOES NOT VOID THE BMW FACTORY WARRANTY thanks guys so much. Hope to hear from you all soon

pseto

what kind of mods are you looking to do? cosmetic or performance?

i've done quite a few cosmetic: front aero lip, rear lip spoiler, tint, rear MTech bumper on the way

as far as performance, I have the Dinan tune (lots of fun), lighter rims, better rubber, and coilovers

dest149 guest

I was looking to do a bit of both, but firstly cosmetic, then performance... I was looking at the Dinan tune, and i am a bit skeptical about it. I feel like i might have problems with the warranty. (i read other threads and people got into a kind of a debate of whether or not it is voided or not so i got a bit skeptical) - Also doesnt the dinan tune make your engine run a little hot, and over work your turbo... (thats what i read atleast) any feed back as to that / solutions. Whats your feedback on Run Flat Tires.... the only thing i dont like about them is they limit which makers i can buy from and i dont know how good performance they give... And i dont wanna change them and be left with no spare tire. Do any of the body modifications void the warranty or are you more then welcome to do as you wish as far as that goes..? Is it possible to get the M series hood to fit on the 335i with no warranty void? Thanks so much, and sorry for all the questions...

dest149 guest

btw what is a coilover? excuse my ignorance

pseto

the Dinan tune is the only engine tune that comes with a warranty...from Dinan. Dinan will pickup any engine related issues which no other tuners can offer. this is the main reason why i bought it; for a piece of mind. there are plenty of other tunes out there that are cheaper, and if detected, will automatically void your warranty. plus Dinan is an engine software flash, so no need to install anything or take it out before bringing it in for service like other aftermarket tunes. my car hasnt run hot at all and i drive my car fairly hard. obviously the intercooler and oil cooler help and if the tune destroys something, guess who i'm going after for a warranty claim? Dinan.

I got rid of my runflats a long time ago, i never liked the way they felt (too heavy and stiff). RFTs are a lot more expensive than regular rubber, and changing out does nothing to your warranty. body modifications also do nothing to your warranty. remember that the dealership will usually have to prove that any mod you added actually caused damage and thus would void your warranty. a dealer would have a really hard time trying to convince me and a lawyer that my front and/or rear spoiler caused an engine problem :D

coilovers are a matching shock/spring combination that i used to replace the OEM suspension. it lowered my car about 1.5 inches and handles tighter. plenty of mod information on e90post.com which is where i'm at most of the day.

dest149 guest

Hmmm i dunno i guess ill have to keep thinking it over. As i was reading, apparently people havent had the best of luck with shop warranties but maybe Dinan is different since it is of such apparent quality... Does BMW test to see if you have the Dinan Tune? Also what keeps you from just going back to a Factory tune in case of some type of failure so that BMW never knows.... I mean that is if its just a software change... If you can change it, i dont see why you cant change it back... Maybe im missing something though.... In your opinion is it worth it to get the intercooler and oil cooler?

az3579

The Dinan tune does not void your BMW warranty, and as a result, there will never be a need to go back.

ericsmc83 guest

pseto hit it right on. Your BMW warranty can be voided no matter what kind of mod you have done, be it Dinan, PROcede, etc. Dinan, however, replaces the BMW warranty with their own comprehensive warranty. Any repairs would be performed and paid for by Dinan.

To answer some of your questions, any kind of performance mod that makes the car run outside of its factory specification is going to cause more wear and tear on the engine components. Adding components like an upgraded intercooler and oil cooler will alleviate (but not eliminate) the extra boost and thermals associated with any tune. If you're concerned about warranty coverage, which it sounds like you are, I would stick with Dinan if you want some extra power. Be sure to read the fine print in Dinan's warranty, though, to make sure you aren't voiding that one as well. One big stipulation from Dinan is that you will not be covered if you run an non-Dinan performance parts.

I'm not sure what you're asking about the run-flat tires. Can you please elaborate?

Cosmetic mods are much safer in that they don't attribute to warranty coverage over engine issues. To put it another way, any mod can only void warranty coverage for parts associated with that mod. For example BMW won't deny coverage for a bad fuel pump if you have aftermarket lights or wheels installed. But they can deny coverage of the same if they find an aftermarket tune.

The E92 M hood will not fit an E92 non-M without modification. The M3 hood is about an inch or so longer than the non-M hood.

Lastly, BMW will see that you have a Dinan tune when they do any kind of software diagnostic/upgrade. Any kind of standard maintenance/service you should be fine, but with an engine component failure they may tell you it's on Dinan's dime.

Dinan flashes can be re-flashed and un-flashed just as easy as they were installed primarily.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any more questions.

Eric

az3579

Eh? I read somewhere that Dinan's doesn't void it... I'll try to find the source.
    It was probably wrong...

ericsmc83 guest

I should reiterate that having Dinan mods doesn't void your BMW warranty completely and comprehensively. It just voids the parts of the BMW warranty that the Dinan parts are replacing and are associated with. Like say you have a Dinan flash and your turbos blow. If you take it to BMW, they will most likely tell you that they won't cover it and to go to Dinan for coverage. Then it would be up to Dinan's warranty to cover the damages.

Bottomline, if you have Dinan mods and follow the Dinan warranty terms, you will be covered by BMW at best or Dinan at worst.

I think we're saying the same thing but in different ways. :)

Dinan Warranty:
    http://www.dinancars.com/bmw/warranty

dest149 guest

thanks guys for all the help i appreciate it... and as per the RFT i was reffering to the way in which they limit what type of tires you can buy, and what companies you can buy tires from. Also i wanted your feedback on their perfomance compared to other tires, and if you thought it was worth it to convert to regular tires....

(this is something totally off topic) but im a member of BMWCCA as of like a day ago *i paid and all* and it is telling me im like under 13 or something and when i post it just puts n/a under my name... Any one had similar problems and know of solutions... if not ill just call tomm.

pseto

you can just replace the RFT with any kind of rubber you want. IMO RFTs are too hard, heavy, and not as sticky as real rubber. if you like having RFTs for the safety value, then yes, you are really limited to what you can replace them...another RFT.

there's nothing special about the rims either...they can handle RFTs or regular rubber.