Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Tires - '06 530i (Run Flat or Regular)

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by dmcdaniel, Jan 21, 2009.

?

Is the cost of RF tires justified vs. regular tires for a '06 530i w/ Sports Package?

Yes - The reliability, saftey and performance is well worth the extra $170+ per tire. 4 vote(s) 16.0%
No, save your money. (If you vote no, please make a recommendation.) 21 vote(s) 84.0%

dmcdaniel guest

I have a 2006 530i that has served me well over the last 2 years and 32K miles. In the next month or so I will need to replace the tires and would appreciate any feedback on recommended brand, model and type (run flat vs. regular). The car currently has Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT tires that have been excellent in all road conditions and have worn evenly. Should I stick with run flats even though I do have a spare tire? Would the handling suffer at all if I went with the regular tire vs. run flat? At $335 a tire on TireRack.com before installation, delivery and road hazard, it sure seems like I should at least consider a change.

Suggestions & opinions welcomed!!

--
    Dave

danbrown1010 guest

Hello?

I am interested in the results here too? Anyone out there willing to vote??

granthr

Okay since no one is posting, I will put in my 02 cents worth. But you should know I have very limited seat time in cars with run flats. To me they are a waste, but I am someone who loves to work on my cars. So the thought of having to change a tire if I do get a flat does not bother me.

So if it were my car I would suggest going with regular tires, especially if you already have a spare in the car. They are cheaper to purchase, shops are willing to fix/plug them if they get a leak, and you will have lots more choices of tires to choose from. Many people who have extensive experience with both also state that regular tires ride better, but I cannot confirm that one.

BUT, this is not my car, so I would say this, if you already have a spare tire in the trunk than what is most important to you? Cost or convenience. If you want to save money and don't mind changing a flat then get regular tires. If you don't mind the expense of the run flats (even if you have to replace them b/c they got a leak) and don't want to be bothered changing a tire, then get the run flats.

Hope this helps.

pseto

i got rid of my runflats a long time ago. i replaced with regular rubber b/c the ride comfort is better and they are stickier. not sure if you're looking for an all-season tire, winter tire, or summer tire (or a combination), and it may depend on where you live.

BIMMIR guest

If you search the prior posts, there's been a lot of discussion that you can view for more opinions. Here's mine...
    Handling, ride and likely tire life will all improve with non run flats!
    Save the money on the tires, and go to Wal Mart and for $25 get a slime kit that includes flat tire sealant and a 12v air pump. I'm pretty sure the slime brand is water based and will rinse off the TPS sensor and not damage it.
    When the run flats on my 328 wear I'll go regular. My X3 is regular already and greatly improved. (X3 does come with a spare)
    While on tire rack do a search and check the non run flat options. Compare traction, temp and treadwear ratings so you still have a well rated traction tire for your car. Consider how you use and drive the car as well!
    Your original tire treadwear rating was probably something like 230. You can probably find something good with 2-3 times that rating.

dmcdaniel guest

Spare Included

Thanks to all for replies. My 530i has a Continetal spare, which seems a bit odd to me since I have Bridgestones that I thought came with the car originally.

Regardless, like others, the thought of changing the tire is almost appealing to me...if it weren't for the fact that I may be caught on the way to a meeting and it would lead to a delay.

My main interest is performance/handling & road noise. I love excelerating thorugh S turns!

Any recommendations on brand & model are greatly appreciated!!

kkratoch

I have run flats on my car and I have already replaced them with run flats. BUT if my car had a spare tire I would delete RFT's in an instant. As far as a recommendation, I cannot be specific as I do not know how you drive your auto is used and if it has the sport pkg or not. But in general (using brands not sizes) I would look at something like Sumitomo HTR+, Continental ContiExtremeContact, or Kumho Ecsta ASX.

az3579

The Kumho Ecsta ASX, in my experience, is nearly useless in the snow. Ask me how I know...

* last winter storm: drifting around every corner because there's no traction and getting stuck on hills *

kevs330Ci

non run-flats if you have a spare......

since you have a spare, i think that's what i read from the OP, i would recommend non run-flats.....better wear, better traction, better ride, and better price.....all pluses IMO.....as far as what tire, again IMO, there's noting better than michelin....except for price, it gives you all those "betters" i already mentioned......

dmcdaniel guest

Kevin,
    Thanks again for your feedback. Since you favor Michelin's, what have you heard about the Michelin Pilot Sport R/S? I think it's clear that I will be going with non RFTs since I have a 530i w/ sports pkg and don't use it on the track AND I have a spare.

dmcdaniel guest

kkratoch,
    My 530i is a stock car with sports package. I don't track it, though I did drive it on Lowe's Motor Speedway once. I typically only use it for errands around town but I enjoy S turns as much if not more than everyone. Does this change your opinion on tire recommendation?

kevs330Ci

IMO---michelin is the best

cant say i know that much about the Michelin Pilot Sport R/S...... i am using the Michelin Alpine(which may be called something else now, i'm not sure) during the winter and the Michelin Pilot Sport (which is awesome IMO) in the warmer months.....i've heard alot of good things about the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
    but cant speak from my own personal experience......best advice i can give you is to read up on tire rack before you make any decisions....do you want to have to change wheels/tires for different seasons or do you want to have an all season tire....that's where you want to start and go from there....:)

dmcdaniel guest

Thanks, Kevin. I never buy tires before reading the reviews on Tire Rack. I bought a set of Michelins today for my wifes car but only after 2 days of TR research.

Cheers!

kkratoch

I will 2nd the opinion on Michelins but they are just so expensive.
    Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position looks like a good fit. They have great ratings and are $199/ea.
    I personally do not like to spend that much on tires and would go with Continental ContiExtremeContact for $140 a pop. Their ratings are not that much lower.

Of course it all comes down to your preference. I tend to never buy "the best", because usually for a decent discount over "the best" you can get 2nd or 3rd and there is not much difference. That is just my opinion. I hope this helps you.

dmcdaniel guest

kkratoch

Excellent feedback and greatly appreciated. Now that I have it down to three choices (Michelins, Bridgestone Potenza, ContiExtremeContact and the fore mentioned Michelins, now all I need to do read the reviews on Tire Rack and ship price.

I have had great success with the ContiExtremeContacts and the Potenzas, so I concur with your opinion on not getting 2nd or 3rd best.

Thanks again!!! Let me know if I can return the favor.

cbm3 guest

Run Flat Not Worth It

I have limited run flat experience, but so far, I would say they are NOT worth the money or ride comprimise as long as you have a spare and are willing/able to change a tire if you get a flat. For summer, I'm a Michelin Pilot Sport fan. For winter, Pilot Alpin. I've used the Pilot Sport A/S as well and like it a lot, but all seasons are no substitute for real snow tires if you drive in anything more than a very occassional patch of slush.

jmill2977 guest

What are the implications, if any, on the warranty when you replace run flats with regulr tires?

nilscnelson guest

545i With Run Flats

Just replaced my Bridgestone run-flats which were horrible! Loud and wore poorly. Bought run-flats again but went to the Michelin Pilot Sports which are great so far. I have only put about 5k miles on them. It's a whole new driving experience, smooth, quiet, and great handling. Probably too soon to say whether or not these were a good choice, but so far so good.

jonathonlorek guest

I just replaced my run flats last week with yokahama s drives and they are wonderful. I love how quiet they are and they grip pretty well. If you take a lot of hard corners you're going to feel the sidewall flex more than the run flats. But, the price is good. I had 4 installed road forced balanced and disposed for a little under $800 out the door.

seapbmw

Tire Noise

I have Bridgestone run flats on our 2006 550i with sport package, 27k miles. IMO, they are awful. They have a mind of their own with respect to tracking, sometimes feeling like they are flat. The noise is also bothersome and getting worse. I'm changing to my Michelin Pilot winter tires and will buy new Michelin summer tires in the spring. I hope the noise goes away or else I have something else to worry about....