Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

'09 335i Active Headrests

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by 1BADE90, Jan 20, 2009.

1BADE90 guest

Hello All,

I just recently picked up my '09 335i sedan (black-on-black w/sport & premium) and could not be happier. I believe I have active headrests, but I'm not 100% sure. How can I confirm that I do have them? What exactly do they do? Currently, I can not lower my front headrests completely down (i.e., where no chrome headrests arms are visible)..., is this a problem with my headrests or is this part of the active component of the headrest?

Thanks in advance for your help.

TS

mlweaver

I could be wrong, but I think this is just part of the passive safety system - the headrests move forward slightly in an impact to reduce neck extension in an accident. Unless the airbags go off, you won't see it.

Starting back in 1991, the 8 series headrest moved up or down with the seat recline function and they are not independently adjustable. Maybe that "feature" has now infested the 3 series?

1BADE90 guest

Thanks for the response mlweaver. So do you think it's normal that I can't lower my front headrests down completely? I asked the dealer and they indicated that this is normal, but they didn't seem totally confident in their answer. At any rate, I usually keep my front headrests up little anyway, but I just want to make sure I don't have defected headrests and/or seats.

mlweaver

sorry to be so long to reply - had a different car today

On my 2008 335xi coupe, the headrest does not go down flush to the seat back. I count 5 "notches" from full up to full down. At full down it still shows about a half inch of the chrome posts.

Hope this helps ...

1BADE90 guest

Thank you mlweaver, that is exactly how mine are. I just wanted to be certain because I wasn't used to that. I feel much better now. Thanks again...