Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Seat Belt Song

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by naalesi, Jan 20, 2009.

naalesi guest

I have an 06 550i and would like to figure out how to turn off the seat belt reminder tune. Does anyone have any experience with how to do this?

pcbeckwith

Buckle your seat belt?

halfpastfive guest

Now there's a novel idea. I feel naked if I drive off without the seatbelt. Can the OP explain why he doesn't want to wear a seatbelt?

Jeff Gomon South Central Region Vice President

Perhaps the OP just doesn't want the chime going off, which can be annoying. That must be the reason, because wearing a belt could save his life, or a passengers life, and its the law.

Just for perspective, I offer the following:

Seat belt laws are divided into two categories: primary and secondary. Primary seat belt laws allow law enforcement officers to ticket a driver for not wearing a seat belt, without any other traffic offense taking place. Secondary seat belt laws state that law enforcement officers may issue a ticket for not wearing a seat belt only when there is another citable traffic infraction.

26 states, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands have primary seat belt laws.
    23 states have secondary laws.
    New Hampshire has enacted neither a primary nor a secondary seat belt law for adults, although the state does have a primary child passenger safety law that covers children under 18.
    Specific laws vary greatly from state to state, depending on the age of the rider and in what seat he or she is sitting.

That said, you could find the chime box and disconnect it. You might lose some other warning chimes in the process, but I could be wrong.......
    Let us know what you find out.

granthr

When driving my 318i I always buckle up and close the door before I turn the key because the warning is a particularly nasty buzzing sound. It really drives you crazy, I am not really sure what the engineers were thinking when they signed off on that one. :D I do this because I don't want to hear one second of it if I can help it.

The very reason I have not disconnected it is because it is the same warning sound for oil pressure. So that is not something I want to mess with.

+1 On wearing seat belts in the first place.

However I do have an uncle who drives a new Toyota pickup and is an avid non-seat belt wearer. God Bless him he is still with us! :D He has a very clever solution to fixing the annoying sound. He went down to his Toyota dealer and bought a seat belt buckle. He then cut off the majority of the buckle so that it was basically just the piece that inserts into the female end of the buckle. He left enough sticking out to drill a small hole in and attached a string so that he won't loose this very valuable device for the few times he does wear a seat belt. So essentially his truck thinks that the seat belt is always being worn. I think this trick would work on your BMW too.

But really please just wear the belt! Airbags are worthless if the occupants are not belted in. Actually airbags are just worthless, but that is another topic :D

MGarrison

I just can't imagine that the current crop would be as simple as the old ones. On older bimmers, there was a wire w/ a connecting plug attached to the seat belt buckle, which plugged into another wire connector snaking out from under the seat someplace. Obviously, there was a switch mechanism in the seat belt latch, and if you addressed the circuit appropriately (closed, open, whatever), ta-da, no seat-belt bong.

These days, it could be some complicated electronic integrated circuit tied into seat sensors and the airbags, airbag deployment system, etc. Without knowing for sure, I'd be a bit hesitant to futz with it and risk screwing up something expensive or important.

az3579

Why go through ALL that trouble to disable that "song" when you could just wear your seatbelt? What is so hard about it?

This is a really touchy subject with me and it is absolutely beyond me why someone wouldn't wear it. "It scrapes my neck" is just the biggest crop of BS I've ever heard, and is the most popular reason.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

If it knows you are not wearing the seat belt it may deploy the bag differently, so tricking it may be even more hazardous to your health than not. You should really just wear the belt and know that BMW will never ever find a way to turn this off due to liability reasons. Sorry.

halfpastfive guest

I would suggest just putting the belt on. I know I can hardly drive if the belt isn't on. It just doesn't feel right!!