Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Lookin to buy an e30

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by missmelyssa, Jan 19, 2009.

Elkoholic

Oh, I know, I know...just messin' around with you!

BAHAHAHA and try walking 20 miles to school, uphill BOTH ways, neck-deep in snow, in 115-degree August heat! That's the spiel my dad gave me when I wanted to take his Volvo to high school...rofl

desertVert guest

Welcome to the fold. :D What color is it?

Jeff Gomon South Central Region Vice President

318is found

Just got a call from one of my fellow chapter members stating that he has found a 91 318is in Vegas for $3500 firm. Diamond Black with 113k miles. All records since new, air blows cold and the head has a new profile gasket from Desert BMW within the last 20k miles. There is no rust and only a small dime sized dent in the trunk lid. Supplied photos support it is in nice shape inside and out. He is having the car sent PPI'd to look for any issues. Unfortunately, the seller needs money for school and since this is his "toy" he must sacrifice.

I guess I wrote this to give perspective on another "price" for a nice E30. This is also a model that I would consider desirable as it is rare and also the last model year. Very light, has few power options and really handles nicely. If the PPI goes well, I think that price is fair.

Melyssa...love the cab...enjoy....:cool:

granthr

Also on the cabrios don't for get to check the Third Brake light in the middle of the trunk lid. It is a common source of leaks I am told. I think a new gasket is very expensive from BMW, so you might want to make one from gasket material you can get a your local auto parts store.

Botond just go buy a new grommet for the antenna from BMW, they are like 3 bucks or something like that. The trick to putting them in is this; boil water on the stove. Get a portable coffee cup, put the grommet in the mug, pour the boiling water into the coffee mug. Put the lid on. Take out to your car that already has the old one removed. Then attempt to put the new one in. The grommet will be soft and pliable and much easier to put on.

This trick works on all rubber grommets that don't want to go into their intended and designed home.

granthr

Boy would I like to buy that car!!!! :D Sounds like a great find and a great price

Autohaus guest

The 91 318is is a great car. Remember, BMW claimed it to be the next 2002. That is a great first car for a teenager.

az3579

Oh shove it. BMW claims everything's the next 2002 now... :rolleyes:
    (and yet we still wait... come on, surely they can build something that can compete with the MX-5 on a simple-small-but-incredibly-fun-car level!)

Anyway, a 318is is a really cool option. I love the looks, especially when fitted with Euroweaves. :)

Autohaus guest

Still want to be picked up today at 3pm? :mad: Keep it up child :D

z31maniac guest

What you meant to say, was swap on a non-cabrio trunk lid as it will look much better.:D

Autohaus guest

Does this vert have a power top or a non power top?

desertVert guest

True, until you get rear ended and the insurance company dings you for modifying the safety equipment on your car... :rolleyes:

granthr

That is what I meant to say!! :D If I had thought of it!

Actually, is it possible to even sway lids? Doesn't the Cabrio have a special shock to hold open the trunk?

missmelyssa guest

funny

You guys are cracking me up.
    I went with a convertible just because this is sunny CA and I never had one. But I keep seeing hardtops that would be nice to add. I know I won't be able to get on the track, so maybe I'll get another one. My hubby's been seeing hardtops for it, but I want to finish maintenance on the car first.

Actually trying to get rid of my '06 6spd Accord since we still have payments on it. My hubby is actually considering a manual 5 series, or even a 7. Not that we need another car, but at least we can pay cash for them.

Yeah, I know "now" that the owner is responsible for smog in CA. He's actually sending us a check for the price of the cat, so that made me feel better. Just changed oil and filter, plugs and air filter on Valentine's Day. Ordered cap, rotor, water pump, fuel filter and timing belt. Should be here this week. I'd feel better changing that stuff out anyway, plus it will help me get acquainted with it.

Been driving it in the rain and no leaks so far. Yeah, back window is a bit foggy but still able to see through it. Once the rain goes away, the top is going down for the season.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Did you order a new tensioner pulley? If not do so now. Please don't hesitate to ask if you need help with the timing belt instructions. I have a few tricks that allow me to do it in about 1.5hrs.

Brian A

Sorry.

Apparently I am "old school" with this, but no one has taught me the "new school" method.

You can scrub a lot of the surface crud off of your back window by first doing a thorough scrub inside and out with Maguire's #10 Plastic Cleaner. Follow that by a good buffing with Maguire's #17 Plastic Polish. Next, wait for a 104F day (I understand you are in "The Valley" so this should be no problem) and leave the car out with the rear window facing the sun and windows rolled up for about 4 hours. It does wonders to the clarity of the rear window and is probably the only time you should subject such a cool car to such trama.

If it doesn't work, just live with what ya got.

As for the canvas, stores like Target or Walmart sell big spray bottles of "outdoor" Scotchgaurd. It'll be in the camping or lawn furnature departments. Loosely mask off your windows and paint with newspaper and spray a few coats of Scotchgaurd. Do it every season and the water will bead off of the top. It also provides UV protection (SPF number unknown).

You will quickly develop your own "convertible-BMW-entry-in-the-rain" technique. The issue is that a ragtop doesn't have rain gutters, so when you open the door and plop your butt on the seat, you tilt the car enough to cause a deluge to pour onto your thighs from the roof. You have about 4 seconds between butt plop and deluge. You get real fast at closing the umbrella and closing the door.

granthr

I think you are giving us too much credit! :D

Wow CA really does activaly try to get rid of old cars. What a shame.

Who ever heard of the previous owner having to pay for repairs after the car is sold. That would never fly here in Penna. It is truly buyer beware. Once you buy a car you are on your own, unless you bought it from a dealer and they are willing to do good will, not likely though. But in my mind the buyer should take some responsiblity to figure out exactly what they are buying. Like requiring a pre-purchase inspection and state inspection.

MGarrison

Melyssa, did you get a E30 Bentley manual yet? Indispensable.... ;)

missmelyssa guest

Responses

Paul, I'll send you a PM soon. I ordered a kit from Pelican Parts.

Brian, yes I'm quite close to the valley. I'm near Stockton and Tracy, but still considered part of the Bay Area. (East Contra Costa County) I'll check out those stores and get to the top and window when the weather gets better. No rain today so far.

Grant, I got lucky. It usually is buyer beware out here. But it looks like I'm dealing with some nice people. One lady was getting her car all spruced up (oil change and other stuff) because she just didn't feel right selling the car with some issues. But I didn't buy from her due to the ragged interior and multiple dents on the body. Not to mention that I could see through her convertible top.

MG, No, don't have the manual yet. It's on my list.

Brian A

I'm in Danville (btwn Walnut Creek and Pleasanton).

See you at autocross! Registration for the first 2009 Golden Gate Chapter session opens March 02: http://www.ggcbmwcca.org/?page=calendar&id=400

I successfully "campaigned" my 1987 325ic in C Class. Its great fun (although an LSD would have been nice). (This year I'll be using my cone-killer 1991 318i autocross monster.)

cj morgan guest

Can you only get Bentley manuals online? I know bavauto sells them.