Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

short shift kits

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1995-1999)' started by Llansley737, Jan 16, 2009.

Llansley737

Hey All,

Anyone have a short shift kit?

Looking to upgrade the existing B&M currently installed on my 99 M3. The previous owner had it installed. The shift effort is significantly higher than the stock shifter along with noticeable "notchiness" and a marginal decrease in "throw" at best, over stock. It seems to defeat the purpose of having a short shifter.

I have ordered the EVO 3 short shift from UUC Motorwerks and am hoping this will be a drastic improvement. They seem to be a fairly popular manufacturer of "quality" aftermarket upgrades for BMW.

Anyone have any thoughts/experience with UUC, or short shift kits in general?

Thanks
    • Staff

steven s

I love mine. :D
    Not sure if it's an Evo3, but it is from UUC.

Also a common problem in these trannies are the return springs.

az3579

I have a short shift kit, though not from an aftermarket company. It's the Z3 kit, the shifter found on that model.

To some people, notchiness may mean one thing or another. To me, it means how crisp and direct the gear changes feel. In that respect, you will get a much crisper shift and you will feel a difference in where the shift lever lands in the gate. If notchiness to you means very "gear"y (you can feel the cogs) then unfortunately I don't think there's any way to get rid of that; it's German engineering at work. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

Realistically, this kit isn't a huge reduction in shift throw (only about 30% I think), but at first, it felt like a huuuuuuuuuuuge difference! Let me tell ya, if I was to get another car (which I hope I don't have to), then one of the first things I would put in it is a short shift kit. Worth every single penny! It reduces the chance of a mis-shift, or even worse, a money shift!

I hear nothing but great things about the UUC kit, but they are rather expensive. I'm sure it's worth the money, but I got cheap and got the Z3 kit instead. I don't think it will last as long as the UUC kit as the ball at the base of the shift lever is plastic instead of metal like a UUC kit, but oh well.

JSimmons

Llansley,

I'd be interested to hear how the UUC shifter works out for you. I've been thinking about this for a few weeks now too. My shifter is a bit "notchy" as well, but I think it might be attributed to the German engineering as was previously stated.

I hate to say it, but my Acura RSX shifts much more smoothly than the M3.

But the M3 makes me do this :D Regardless of how it shifts.

Llansley737

Thanks for the input.

I've read up quite a bit on it lately since driving this 1999 M3 with a B&M short shift kit already installed. I've had a 96, and 98 E36 M3 with stock shifters. They are far smoother with considerably less shift effort required. Also, the "throw" is not noticeably decreased.

This is what has me interested in doing a little research and opinion polling. I realize the preferences in "feel", "shift-effort", and "notchiness vs. smoothness" is subjective from driver to driver, but I am looking for a balance. Smooth, precise, crisp...but not overly notchy shifting. UUC seems to come highly recommended as the one that will most closely match the stock "feel" (w/ improved precision and a shorter throw). I don't mind spending a little extra to get that precise shift "feel". It's part of what really makes driving a manual box so rewarding...and worth it to me to get it right.

UUC's latest is the EVO 3. Shows it's on back order but it should hopefully be here in maybe a few weeks. I will post the results after installation and initial driving impressions.

If anyone already has one (UUC EVO 3) it would be great to hear what you think of it.

Thanks again for the input.

M3Driver guest

+1 For the the UUC kit. Had one on my '01 330.

JSimmons

Sounds like the UUC kit might be placed on my list of must-haves.

Alex Lipowich

shifters

The area of biggest weakness is the oval rubber bushing that sits in the carrier at the front of the carrier.

Rogue and UUC no doubt both carry a Delrin busing to replace the stock rubber part.

This is critical for good feel.

If you run a six speed, becareful, and don't make the "throw" to short.

Weighted linkages (Rogue sells these for sure) can really improve the "feel" as well.

I run a stock carrier, Delrin Bushing, Rogue Delrin and weighted shift link, and MZ3 shift rod for my six speed, and its puuuuurfect.

Alex.

YMMV

gotM3 guest

I got the UUC EVO3 w/ the DSSR and it is one of the best mods I did to my 95 M3. The Weighted selector rod is a must, gives the shift a smooth transition between gears. I highly recommend this buy.

Mitch

rich235 guest

Talked to a coworker yesterday who put the UUC shifter in his 1998 5 series. He said he initially installed with the bearing type doghnut and it vibrated or made noises? then replaced teh donut with the rubber or poly version and it smooted out a bit. hope this helps. I'm considering teh BMW OEM version sold at teh dealer?

Marzochi guest

Don't have any experience with the UUC kit, but I have a kit from Autosolutions which very much reminds me of the Z3 shifter. Still quite nice and a great upgrade for this car.

Good luck with it!

rich235 guest

Thanks for the help, very much appreciated!

Rich

rkh3 guest

I have never installed one. How difficult is it?

PSPaine3

Very happy with my Rogue with weighted shift rod. Feels great, no notchiness.