Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

synthetic oil

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1995-1999)' started by Scott Mc, Jan 14, 2009.

Scott Mc guest

What brand and viscosity of synthetic oil do you all recomend for 95 e36 M3. I am in a four season climate with moderate winters(southeast).Thanks in advance for any input.

granthr

You ask a touchy question here. You will get a different answer from everyone who responds. :D So, weed through them all and come up with what works best for you.

My 02 cents is I run Red Line synthetic in all three of my BMWs. Not just motor oil, but in trans, final drive, & power steering. (except the E36 trans, it is an auto, gasp :eek:, so it will get Esso life time fill every 30K). For the motors I run 15w-40 in my 318i year round, it doesn't get driven a whole lot in the winter. 20w-50 in my E30 M3, it doesn't see the light of day from Nov to April, and in the winter in my E36 328is gets 10W-40 and during the summer it gets 15w-40.

I live in PA, it doesn't get too cold here, except this week. Hight today was 20, but all the Northeast is suffering right now. I love this weather, as long as it is not windy and I don't break down!! :D

GR

Devilsown guest

I use AMSOIL 10w-40 works like a champ, love this stuff.

JSimmons

Hi Scott,

I just purchased my '95 M3 and the PO used 15w50 Mobil 1 Synthetic. The car seems to like it. I'll probably continue with the same.

Oh yeah, I'm in the Southeast as well. Augusta, GA.

Joel

TurboDave

I've just started using Motul in mine per recommendations of a friend that has many BMW track cars. Little more expensive than most synthetic, but oil upgrade is cheap compared to other things.

RaketeBlaue guest

Mobil 1 is a great synthetic product, is widely available and reasonably priced. I have known alot of people try other synthetic products but almost always return to Mobil 1. It is also approved by BMW to use in most vehicles. Like granthr says, pick the product that works the best for you.

Glückliches Fahren!

Will M. - Orlando, FL

BMWtoyz guest

I have used Mobil 1 in all my BMW's since my 91 318is came with it in the crankcase. I currently use Mobil 1 10W40 in my 98 M roadster,

JCampbell

After your CCA discount the BMW recommended synthetic is about the same price or less than Mobile 1, Motul, etc.

Scott Mc guest

Joel enjoy the 95 E36 M3 please read my post Ouch re money shifting my M3. Knowledge is power. I would have loved to have known this about the E36 M3 before I learned the hard way. Have fun.

BMWtoyz guest

BMW "recommended" synthetic is currently Castrol. In the late 80's early 90's, BMW recommended was Mobil 1; they simply switched suppliers for a better deal.

JSimmons

Scott - read your post on the "money shift." Ouch is right.