Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

abs light

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by ecvchamp, Jan 11, 2009.

ecvchamp guest

Ok, let's start this out by telling you "It wasn't me";) my e30 was jump started with a high power battery charger and it was hooked up backwards for "about 15 seconds" and now the ABS light is on. I checked fuse #6 and it's ok. my production date is 11/88. thanks

Mooseheadm5? any ideas?

az3579

Is your ABS actually working?

ecvchamp guest

have not tried it and now wile messing with it I just fried my main wiring harness and fuse box. Yes I'm a DORK.:mad:
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Does not sound promising. Let me know if you need parts, though. I have many.

ecvchamp guest

well i am bidding on a harness tonite. It is everthing but the engine harness. So we will see how that goes. thanks

ecvchamp guest

hey mooseheadm5, do you know when they added the abs harness to the main? the one on ebay is from a 84 and did not have abs. and in 86 it was a seperate harness. mine is an 89 and is included in the main harness.

mooseheadm5

I don't know off the top of my head, but the safe bet is to buy the same year because they tended to make tiny changes here and there and you may find something you can't deal with. What got fried, exactly? The fuse panel can be replaced separately from the harness.

ecvchamp guest

some of the wires in the main harness under the dash neer the steering colum and as they go through the fuse block. I could replace them by opening up the bundle. but I don't want to hack up the harness.

ecvchamp guest

If anyone has a main harness for a 89 e30 send me a pm. Thanks

ecvchamp guest

granthr

Sorry about the problem, that is really awful. I hope you liked untying knots as a kid! That is a mess of wires. But it will be worth it if it fixes your problem. Just so you know, the wireing harness is one of the first things that is put in the car during the manufacturing process. So you are going to have to gut the interior, including pulling the carpet. The wiring harness runs under the center part of the carpet, as well as the edges.

Now would be a good time to fix anything else that might be causing you problems. Good luck.

GR

Elkoholic

OY.
    That is all.
    God speed, soldier...

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Dig in there

Don't worry about cutting into the harness wrapper. When you're finished doing this and that, wind it with overlapping black electrical tape.

mooseheadm5

Now that you have plan b, try to fix your harness first. Unhook battery, though!

ecvchamp guest

it has begun

granthr

Good luck with this. Not that you asked, but let me make one suggestion. I see some "aftermarket" connections there in your pictures. Crimp on connectors are nice and easy, but they are not for the long haul. Do yourself a favor and solder any and all new wire connections. Use shrink wrap tubes as well. You put them over the wire before you splice. Then you move the tube over the exposed wire after the solder has cooled and heat it with your soldiering gun to shrink it. You will have very solid wire splicing that will last a long time.

Good Luck!

GR

ecvchamp guest

yes, those are for the alarm that was installed back in 95. I will be fixing that. Thanks

granthr

I just figured since you are going to all this trouble, you might as well do it right. Otherwise things will flash and do wierd things as you go over bumps and connections are broken.

GR

ecvchamp guest

ecvchamp guest

The main harness is out