Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Coupe's noisy?

Discussion in 'E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)' started by r0bst3r, Jan 8, 2009.

r0bst3r guest

I've had my 01 Z3 coupe for about three months, and lately the noise has started to get on my nerves. Are Z3's considered noisy? It sounds like tire noise, almost like a truck with mud tires, and it all comes from the rear? I need to get a decible meter to measure it. I'm starting to be concerned that there is something wrong with my car. I've eliminated the engine/exhaust, because when you pop the clutch it doesn't go away. I also don't think its tire noise, my tires are in good shape, and the noise seems to get louder at around 25mph.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Could be a wheel bearing. Does it change tone when you turn left or right? Have you nailed any huge potholes in the last few months?

r0bst3r guest

Doesnt seem to be a wheel bearing, it really does sound like tire noise. I have Eagle F1's on the car

RSTaylor guest

Z3 Noise

My Z3 - 2001 3.0L Is pretty noisy but it seems to be air noise related to the convertible top. It increases with car speed. I have the hard top also, and when I install it, the noise level coming from the rear drops substantially.

Bob
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Well, he has a coupe, so it is not the top. I have no experience with the tires you have, but if it is only coming from one corner, I would not think it was the tires. Monitor it and if it gets worse, check out the wheel bearings.

utshwala guest

i have eagle F1's also and my cabin is relatively quiet.
    should not hear anything but the motor.. road noise comes more at highway speeds... but definatly should not annoy u unless u have sensative hearing.

maybe differential fluid?