Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Electronic Differential or E-diff on E9x's

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by PhillyNate, Dec 25, 2008.

PhillyNate

Happy holidays, I have been informed that all 2008 3-series have the electronic rear differential first featured on the 1-series if they have a build date "after" 03/08. The problem for me is my E92 328i has a build date of you guessed it, 03/08. I am confused by the use of the word "after' in this application. I don't know if BMW means after the month began or after the entire month was over. Though it is not an LSD, I am told it is very useable and the next best thing. Guys help me out here, how do I know I have it? Any info is welcome.
    Thanx.

bl335i08 guest

I don't think yours has it. Models with build date of 4/08 and afterwards have it.

PhillyNate

Thank you for your response. Do you have it? How do you like the E-diff? Can you tell a difference between E-diff and non E-diff.

PhillyNate

I just found this interesting tidbit in my owners manual.
    Both 3 series (2008 and later) and 1 series owners's manuals state:
    "in the same way as with a differential interlock, even if DSC is deactivated, brake actions are still performed on the rear axle to enhance drive output if the drive wheels experience a significant loss of traction."