Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Question regarding cold weather and antifreeze

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by lens314, Dec 18, 2008.

lens314

I've grown up and currently live in predominatly warm climate parts of the country (FL and TX). I am going to be driving up to Omaha, NE sometime before the 25th depening on snow/ice, and the temps are supposed to be below freezing for a good amount of time. I am only going to spend a week up there, and probably not drive too much.

My car was just in for the 15k mile service, and my parents who used to live in the midwest (up until I was born) told me to get the antifreeze checked and/or changed on the way up to Omaha to make sure it can handle the cold.

Would this be wise, or is this information based on the cars from the late 70s, early '80s?

The 335i was EDed and Re-delivered(in Chicago) in the summer, so the VDC/Dealer in the US probably did not change any fluids for the climate, right? Anything else I should watch out for (besides the performance tires will not be the best for icy conditions)?

Thanks for any help!
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Your antifeze should be changed every 2 years. They use the same 50/50 for all climates as far as I know. It is a simple matter to buy a tester for $10 or less, open up the coolant cap and test the freezing point of your coolant. Being that your car is so new, it ought to be fine, but it never hurts to check and to have that tool handy for when you service any of your other cars.

lens314

Cool, thanks for the reassurance! I will look for one of these testers.

John in VA

There are coolant testers for the old- & new-style antifreezes, so get the correct one.

M3Driver guest

Also the general rule of thought from everyone I have every spoken with on this subject has ALWAYS go with the BMW OEM coolant.