Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Show your BMW Camaraderie

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Spydeputy, Dec 17, 2008.

Spydeputy

I remember a few years ago, when my friends and I were fixing up foreign cars and selling them. At that time a British Leyland (BL)car was popular and something to be proud of. We would displayed this between fellow owners/drivers, by flashing our high beams to each other as you passed each other on the road. 1964 (BL) and other foreign cars, Mostly European made cars, were few and far between. They had the high beam flash on the blinker stalk. That was cool then,(high tech) lol. Better than American made cars. Our peers were enveyious, and jealous at the same time. Until they joined this elite group.

I'd like to see this camaraderie displayed again. I have already started this locally, and it seem to be catching on. Most of the drivers responding to the flash seem to be other males, ages of 18 to 50. We can make this catch on once again. Even nation wide if those of us here get it started.

So lets see what everyone thinks. We can read other members responce here to see if this is something we are interested in. GO BMW !!!

Drive Safe, and have a Great Holiday.
    Merry Christmas, Dave

granthr

I do often flash my lights at other bmw drivers. But I have to admit I usually profile the other BMW before I do so. There are so many E46 and newer BMWs where I live and most of them are not enthusiasts, so I usually don't bother, b/c they don't know what I am doing. I usually leave my flashing (ah don't take that the wrong way! :D ) to the older model cars.

GR

wretched

I do the same thing but as granthr said most just look at me like I am crazy! In my town most BMW's sold are for prestige not CCA reasons. But I will stick by it and continue the tradtion! Wife says I am a dork for it but oh well...

az3579

I have to agree with Grant; most of the time it's pointless. There are soooooo many BMWs now, it makes me sick believe it or not, because so many people that just don't care drive them now. So now you could flash about 10 cars and only one (MAYBE) will acknowledge. I reserve my flashing to the older ones, like E34's, E30's are mandatory (even though NOBODY around here who drives an E30 cares), anything around that age.

The E36's are usually riced to death so I don't even bother. And E39 528i's? A dime a dozen.

That's why I wear my CCA badges proudly on front and rear windshields and front grille, so anyone who actually gives a crap will know why I flashed them, (not in a nasty way :D).

Spydeputy

BMW's

it's not that bad on the east coast. BMW's go by about every 5 min. so i'll try to keep it going:);)

M3Driver guest

Most ///M drivers I meet typically toss up their hand in greeting. However most standard BMW drivers these days typically see a M3 (or ///M model in general) as a "pretty car with cute wheels" with absolutely no other idea as to what the car really is.

Spydeputy

BMW fan club

Well most of us who read these and other BMW posts know what the car is, and know how they feel about. i guess those who flash their light back are a BMW enthusiast too. we will just have to leave SO-CAL out of the loop since they have indicated in other post site on this same subject that they would be flashing their lights all the time.

M3Driver guest

Based on my business trips out in the CA area, M cars are pretty abundant. Here in the deep South (Hooterville territory) they are just not that common.

missmelyssa guest

Newbie here. I live in CA...and ever since high school I've heard that flashing your lights is some sort of gang initiation. So just to be safe, I don't ever flash my lights.

Spydeputy

flashing lights

hi missmelyssa,
    i,m happy to say that this is not true.
    see snopes: http://www.snopes.com/crime/gangs/lightsout.asp

missmelyssa guest

Hi Dave,

I know, I check out snopes too. But certain parts of CA can get scary. Just to be safe, I still wouldn't flash lights in East LA or Compton.
    But I think camarderie is awesome.
    Kinda like bikers who give low waves to each other.
    I tried to remember to do that when I used to ride.